• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software cooling for high temps CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thanew1

Beeing new to O/Cing, I learn new things on this board everyday. Something I don't see much on the boards are posts on software cooling, so I thought I'd share my experience with CPUIdle. I run a P3 500MHz wich has high idle and full load temps. In fact, both these temps are in the same range : 62oC to 64oC, no mather the load ! I've ask the board to know if these temps where normal for this system that is not yet overclock and the reply I got said that it was. I personnaly find that these temps must be lowered before I try to O/C my system, so I've ordered a golden orb (not the best, but certanly better than my generic HSF) that i'll lap and install this week-end.

One thing I found strange with my system was the lack of difference between idle and full load, but now that I use CPUIdle, I can realy see a difference. Mbm5 recorded a minimum of 31oC while Idle running the software cooler, but i think my average minimal temp is 38oC. Still, I think a 26oC difference between idle and full load can have a big effect on a CPU lifespawn. My (newbie) advice is that if you realy want to know how low your CPU temp can get, try one of these cooling softwares and if you'r not using folding@home or SETI all the time, you could even increase your CPU lifespawn. I'll leave the "How does it work?" part of this post to our senior members. Gnight all,

How it works... Programs such as CPUIdle and RAIN only work in Win95/98. It does so by sending the HLT, or Halt, command to the processor. And obviously it will only work if you don't run programs such as Seti or RC5 because they use the processor 100% all the time. I don't mean to say you are stupid and made a bad choice, but the golden orb really sux for cooling. I would suggest something like a Globalwin FOP38(noisy) or an Alpha Pal 6035. Your temps of 62c-64c are WAY, I mean WAY to high! My Athlon Thunderbird only hits 39c under full load running genome@home. (I have the Globalwin FOP38, soon to have the Alpha Pal 6035) Hope this helps you lots!

Actually CPU timeout proggies decrease CPU lifespan. I've read a lot of papers, reports, and articles that indicate that silicon integrated circuit life span is mostly determined by the number of "thermal cycles". Every time the CPU warms up, then cools down, is one thermal cycle. CPU timeout proggies will increase the number of thermal cycles by 5-10 fold, which dramatically effects CPU lifespan.

The best thing for a CPU is either to never use it, or to use it and keep it under full load 24/7 at a reasonable temperature (50C).

KaHNZa : I know that the golden orb is a cheap HFS, but I had 4 reasons to buy this model :
1. It was the cheapest thing (that I know of) I could get on the canadian market for a slot 1 CPU (half the price of the next best thing) .
2. It is very easy to install (so have I read).
3. The day I'll want to get more serious in my O/Cing, it won't hurt my wallet too much when I'll give it away to buy something better.
4. It is better then my generic HSF.

I should also say that I only have one computer and I need it every day for my studies and homeworks (studying in computer sciences). A 20% O/C is the fartest I'll go for now because I don't want to take any risks.

Jeff : Well you realy teached me something there. I've uninstalled CPUIdle right after I read your post. I guess I must have a very healty CPU since there is no difference between my Idle and full load temps, so no temp variation for me.

Thanks both of you for your reply

Those temps are way too high !!Dont forget to apply a thin layer of thermal paste on the core and heatsink..very thin layer paper thin..transparent..u can do it best with a razor blade but be carefull...hope that helps..

Back