• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software firewalls, do they do the job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

To be specific, I am talking about Zone Alarm Pro. I just installed it since I go on IRC alot and stay in the OC Folding and OC SETI Channels there and since we're on DALNET (For those who don't use IRC, it's the biggest network), I get spammed alot and have people put viruses on my computer. I installed it hoping this would some what block off or reduce the amount of attacks I get. It's obviously not as good as like hardware but can someone give me some feedback on it other than the fact it is the best software firewall (So I've heard) but how does it compare?

Last edited:

Mpegger

Whatever irc client your using, you most likely have auto accept DCC sends enabled. Thats pretty much the only way you can get a virus on irc. Script viruses are also something that can only be "caught" if you install it yourself.

Also, if you'r using any kind of script for your irc client (such as for "defense"), be aware that some of them do contain backdoors that would allow a script kiddie to upload stuff to you unknowingly.

Kendan

Senior Punk
To stop the spam put this line into your file/options/connect/perform/dal.net box: /mode Yournick +R

This will stop unregistered nicks from messaging you and will stop the Spam because they do not use registered nicks. As for software firewalls I have used Zone Alarm free ver. for a while now and like it. I do not have it on my main rig at the moment and was about to see what else is out there. Good luck Yodums.

I have heard that black ice is not that good.

OP
Yodums

Yodums

I myself heard that Black Ice wasn't too good. Before I used it and since that was along time ago, I don't how it compares now.

Mpegger: To actually DCC someone something, you have to add them to your allow list to be able to accept or at least according to my DCC Settings and I just set it to ignore all DCC.

Kendan: I took your suggestion about +R. So far it's working good but I still want to keep a firewall on now. Now I'm all suspicious about viruses and hackers!

If anyone has comments, post em ! :D

Yodums

krm197

Registered
I've been using Zonealarm Pro for a little over a year, and although I get alot of high level warnings, I don't know how many of them are actually malicious. I do enjoy the ad-blocking and cookie disabling software that the latest version has. You do have alot of control over the types of connections that are available to your computer, and the "high" security settings are very solid. I've run many tests for port vulnerability, and passed each one with flying colors.

Last edited:

So far zone alarm is the only solution that works well for me.
I need a firewall thats easy to adjust local settings so my remote control works but still keep a hard line defense toward the internet. I also like the easy internet lock and unlock.
The security is as good as you set it. No hardware firewall works better that I am aware of. I use ZA on my firewall computer as well as all of my network computers.
My router has a firewall but is reletively useless.