• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solid State Hard Drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

I remember way back on The Screen Savers (way back before G4 took over and turned the network into total poo) there was something about solid state hard drives... they were useing normal system SDRAM (dunno if it was DDR or not) and they were showing the FAST it was. Today solid state hard drives would be so much faster it would be crazy.

Has anyone heard anymore about them?

It would be really nice to have like a 5GB drive that is just crazy fast... only bad thing would be is $$$ and the fact that if the little battery on the unit went dead.. all of your data is gone. But that's why we keep normal HDD"s in our system as a backup :)

Randyman...

I vaguely remember that segment.

I think the SS HD was integrated with a standard magnetic HD that always shadowed the image - almost like a RAID1 across a Solid State and Magnetic drive! It loaded the image from the Magnetic HD on boot, and ran from the solid state drive, with the occasional dump to magnetic.

The thing is, what buss will you use? Even SATA is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too slow to keep up with typical modern RAM speeds, creating a major bottleneck (Although SUSTAINED SATA bandwidth would be a nice improvement over current single HD's). I'm sure something will come around soon enough. Maybe the new PCI Express or whatever it is called will handle the bandwidth a bit better, but you really need a DDR RAM type interface to carry this much data (I think).

Too bad The Screen Savers will never be the same. I hear Leo is doing "Call For Help" in broadcast to Canada ONLY - weird!

Later :cool:

OP
PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887

Looks cool. Can't wait till something will full speed hits the market :)
And I was wondering why I coulden't find Call For Help on TV! Also did you hear they are moving The Screen Savers? They are moving to LA on the 18th I think... :(
I dunno why they did this whole G4 thing.... it's all turning into crap. 3/4 of the shows are about GAMES, 1 of the shows is just watching a guy play videogames... that's all...

Randyman...

PCGUY112887 said:
...it's all turning into crap. 3/4 of the shows are about GAMES, 1 of the shows is just watching a guy play videogames... that's all...

Are you serious? A show with a guy simply "Playing a video Game"? I thought it was bad enough to sit in a vegitative state and PLAY the games, now one can sit in a vegitative state and simply WATCH someone else play the game! Oh, the youth of today has me SOOO confused! I'm only 29!

Long Live Tech TV! :cool:

WheaT

Ok first off. I totally know what your saying about tech tv. I miss the old formats, and now alot of the shows are about games and just plain cheezy to boot. The only game show I like is the one with adam and that pretty good looking chick, rest of them are crap.

Anyways, about the topic at hand. I know what your talking about with that solid state hd. It would be soo quick. I know this company uses them not only in thier desktops, but also in thier laptops as well. I almost considered getting one of thier laptops at one point but I really doubt they would get very good batter life which is why I would by a laptop for in the firstplace, to be able to take it around with me! Anyways here is the site. www.go-l.com Not only that but check out some of the monitors those guys have! If only I had 4000 for the 3 screen monitor!

WheaT

Foxie3a

Normal Member
everyone complains about the prices of a single little stick of 512mb RAM, and you guys are talking about having GIGABYTES of it? Be prepared to take out a second mortage.