• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soltek Socket A motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eddie

I have a Soltek SL-75KAV-X motherboard and Thunderbird 850.

I have the following problems.

The system does not like my GeForce 2 GTS pro 64Mb gfx card.
Windows either causes registry problems, loses all my reg settings.
The system seems to be OK is I use my Voodoo 3 2000.
I cannot also seem to set my CAS-2 133 memory to 133Mhz and 2 Latency.

Can anybody help or have same problems???

I have installed the latest VIA drivers from Soltek. 4.28
I have tried all detonator drivers

Maybe its not a gfx problem????

Also I cannot seem to unlock my L1 brides with pencil trick. But i'm not too fussed yet. I'd rather get a stable system.

I have heard that there have been certain voltage problems between mainboards and geforce 2 cards????

Regards
Eddie!

Found what the problems is.

It was memory.

It did not like memoery in DIMM slot 2, it OK in slot 1+3. bizzare. A replacement board did exactly the same. Its ok now though.

Also anybody know how to get the L1 bridges unlocked on a TBird with a pencil. tried but cannot get it to unlock????

I make machines up for people as a business on the side, and thought Id see what these Soltek mobos do. I had the same problem as you after unlocking a T-Bird, so I put a known unlocked one in and it still didnt work. After about 20 seconds thinking about the problem, I saw a jumper right near the dip switches which wasnt in the manual, so I changed it, and wal-lar, the little multiplier unlock LED came on and everthing worked fine.
As for whether the board is any good, it seemed fine, but using one for a couple of weeks can be a different story. But first impressions were 8/10.

Pencil isn't reliable for a long term, you better use conductive paint (Loctite 3888 or Loctite Rear Window Defreezer Repair Kit). If you are skilled in soldering you can also easily solder the L1 bridges with soldering paste (not with usual soldering wire!).

I also have Soltek board, SL-75KV2 actually. With optimized memory settings (RAS precharge 2T, CAS latency 2T, Interleaving 4-way, SDRAM self refresh enabled, SDRAM Speculative read On and Fast Write to Read On) I get 428/588 Mb/s memory transfer rates reported by Sandra. Only problem is that the tweaks made in WPCREDIT aren't stored permanentaly in BIOS, I have to run the WPCREDIT to load registers again manually. Does anyone know if it is possible to automatically load the settings in Windows startup or somewhere?

-Mikko

Eddie (Feb 07, 2001 11:37 a.m.):
Found what the problems is.

It was memory.

It did not like memoery in DIMM slot 2, it OK in slot 1+3. bizzare. A replacement board did exactly the same. Its ok now though.

Also anybody know how to get the L1 bridges unlocked on a TBird with a pencil. tried but cannot get it to unlock????

Back