• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solutions for a Large Home Wifi Connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi guys/gals,

I am soon to buy a laptop and want to get a wifi connection setup. Let me explain my situation first:

My mother has a laptop at the front of the house on the main floor, and has cable internet setup up there. My room is on the back of the house on the second floor (its a fair sized house) and i want to be able to surf the net in my room. A while back I bought a wireless router that i was using with my psp and mothers laptop, and the problem i was having was that my room was getting a horribly weak signal (too far away). I bought a better antenna, but it still wouldnt get all the way back to my room.

Now since i am going to be getting a laptop on my own, and i want internet in my room, what are the options open for me? I know that if i just get a wireless router and hook it up to my mothers computer, i will still have the same problem as before (weak signal).

What options are there for me? I want wireless internet in my room, but my room is too far from where the router would be.

Any ideas?

Vio1 said:
how can i move the wireless router so far away from my mother's computer?

Since your mother has a laptop too, you could buy a network card for her on eBay for cheap. Then you can take that modem and router and move it to another room in the house. Preferably in the center of the house so that the signal is spread all over. You guys have DSL or cable?

Vio1 said:
cable.

I like that idea. Didnt think of making both laptops wireless.

Just trying to help by providing the cheapest fix.

If you've got the cash, you could buy a cable modem/router combo device like the Linksys WCG200 Cable Gateway. Then you could hook it up in your room.

Another idea would be to upgrade to a wireless router with MIMO technology. Your laptops will need compatible network cards, but the technology has excellent reception and signal strength. It's quickly becoming the new standard.

This router from Belkinshould give you more than enough distance. I have it setup in my room on the second floor of my house and I get full strength signals all the way down to the opposite corner of the house in the basement. You can use it with g and b signals so you do not need to buy new equipment for the computers.

z0n3 said:
This router from Belkinshould give you more than enough distance. I have it setup in my room on the second floor of my house and I get full strength signals all the way down to the opposite corner of the house in the basement. You can use it with g and b signals so you do not need to buy new equipment for the computers.

thnx im going to check into that.

Back