• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] i7 920 4.4 ghz 21x multi issues, windows not seeing correct OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asusguy

Registered
Hello,

my normal stable OC is 4.0ghz with 1.275 voltage, at 20x200 bclk. For curiousness sake i tried to OC past that.

I have some questions.

When i set 21x210 windows recognized it as 4.2ghz (same as cinebench) but hwinfo and cpu-z recognized it normally as 4.4ghz.
When i set 21x200 windows and cinebench recognized it as 4.0ghz but hwinfo and cpu-z recognized it normally as 4.2ghz.

Also i noticed on hwinfo that the multi was dropping down to 20x on IBT stress test. I realized that i had to change the Turbo Power Limit from enabled to Disabled in order to permanently maintain 21x multi.

My question is, why do windows and cinebench not recognize the correct OC? And why does 21x multi works that way? I know that normally motherboards were only able to maintain 21x multi with turbo enabled for 1 core, but i have the Rampage 2 extreme and i guess i was correct to set turbo power limit to disabled in order to maintain 21x multi at all times?

So far i have been able to have a stable 4.2 ghz at 1.425 vcore, tested with IBT and all was fine. Now i need to figure out how to get past that, and up to 4.4. It is interesting to note that the pc wont even boot properly (no display signal) at 20x220 settings for 4.4ghz.

But the whole windows/cinebench not recognizing the correct OC is bothering me.

Any ideas please?

PC
I7 920 d0
rampage 2 extreme
True Spirit 140 power
xfx pro 550w

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows always assumes the default multi just ignore it and go by what CPU-Z shows, my 3770k shows as 3.5 in windows even thought it's at 4.5 because it is only OC'd via the multi not the bus speed.

Ok, thank you for the info, that's what also others say in some topics i found through googling. So far my multi has been 20x so i never had this issue, but i get it now.

Last edited:
We don't close resolved threads in case someone else has a similar issue. Can you post what you did to fix the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back