• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some advice for my first attempt at water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d1One

Hello guys.
I am a first timer water cooler guy and i need some advice as a have a limited budget and i want to start small. The point of water cooling for me is to overclock my i7 4970k CPU and maintain moderate temps. For now i just want to water cool my CPU but at the same time i wanna purchase something that can allow me expand later without buying all new parts.

I was thinking about buying the Swiftech h240x just because of the good review, the fact that its an expandable and its easy enough for a beginner like me since its an AIO unit. The down side (for me) is i don't really like how it looks, the res is ugly and you can see the pump behind the res sticking behind.. it just looks odd. If I'm spending money on this i want it to look as good as possible.

The h240x in Europe costs around about 200USD + shipping + an adaptor (one of the connectors is not G1/4) + some clear tubing and fittings and possibly a reservoir, so i figure its going to be around 300USD.

My main question is can i build a custom loop that performs just the same (with a copper rad) at the same price ? If so, can i have some help with the parts? Because choosing certain parts is confusing to me especially the pump as i don't know how much of a "good" pump i need to get. Also i don't want a pump-res combo, i want a cylinder type of res to be showing wile the pump is hidden.

Heres my specs:
Case - NZTX h440
CPU - i7 4970k
MB MSI Z97S krait

where exactly are you located and do you have any websites for retailers that sell water cooling parts?

$300 is enough to get a block, pump, reservoir, and a few fittings here in the U.S. but it would be tight and it sounds like things are more expensive in Europe.

There are some members here from europe so hopefully they will chime in soon.

where exactly are you located and do you have any websites for retailers that sell water cooling parts?

$300 is enough to get a block, pump, reservoir, and a few fittings here in the U.S. but it would be tight and it sounds like things are more expensive in Europe.

There are some members here from europe so hopefully they will chime in soon.

Yeah. usually things are more expensive here than in the US.
Im from Portugal. I have a few local stores but they don't seem to have much to pick from, I'm comfortable buy from any webshop in the european union.
I'm just a bit scared of buying a over or under powered pump and rad, the rest seems much more simple lie the res, tubing fittings, etc..

I'd recommend something like http://www.performance-pcs.com/hot-xspc-raystorm-d5-photon-ax360-watercooling-kit.html if you want an good water cooling system. I don't know if this website will ship internationally or how much it would be to ship. My brother just recently bought this kit with the 270mm res, and so far its been pretty well. His 4790k running on boost clock stays around 50c and around 30-35c on idle. Installing it was quite easy, other than having to make a custom mounting plate for the 270mm res. Also the 270mm res is takes up plenty of space in his case.

I'd recommend something like http://www.performance-pcs.com/hot-xspc-raystorm-d5-photon-ax360-watercooling-kit.html if you want an good water cooling system. I don't know if this website will ship internationally or how much it would be to ship. My brother just recently bought this kit with the 270mm res, and so far its been pretty well. His 4790k running on boost clock stays around 50c and around 30-35c on idle. Installing it was quite easy, other than having to make a custom mounting plate for the 270mm res. Also the 270mm res is takes up plenty of space in his case.

Thanks for your reply. Those temps sound ideal to me. Did he ever overclock? I can buy it here in Europe. They do look cool. As far as space goes I'm good, i bought an oversized case for my needs anyway, i have the NZXT h440, plenty of room available.

Im leaning more towards the XSPC kits. Is there such a big difference between a D5 pump combo and the 750 V4 ? Because it makes the kit %37 more expensive. Is it just the noise level or actual cooling performance?
This is what i am looking at.
214€
320€

Remember I'm just cooling the CPU for now, i plan on overclocking but nothing too extreme.

Last edited:
I would personally only stick with D5s or DDC pumps as the 750 is a weaker pump but you could still go with the 750 if A. the funds are tight and B. you will never add more to the loop down the road.

Back