• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some advice please!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brighteye

I can't seem to get any higher than 10000 in 3dmark 06 - and I am wondering if the motherboard in my system is throttling my cpu and graphic card. I say this because when I swapped the 8800gtx with 9600gso 340mb I get the same mark on 3dmark06- the ceiling for the motherboard perhaps. Any advice as to the best motherboard that would compliment my rig and allow for future expansion.

my sons gaming machine:-

OS -Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
motherboard - Foxconn K8M890M2MA-RS2H
Processor - Amd 64 x2 6000+ 3ghz
Ram - DDR2 Black Dragon Dual Channel PC2-6400 800Mhz
Graphics -8800gtx 756mb ddr3
harddrive -Western Digital WD7500AADS 750GB Hard Drive SATAII
Psu -OCZ 400W StealthXStream PSU

Also found the following on ebuyer
The Phenom II 550 BE becomes an Phenom II X4 B50!

Only if your motherboard supports it however, Not all do. For you to be able to do this you need an AMD Mobo with the SB750 as this will not work with an nForce Mobo. Just enable the Embedded Controller Firmware and set it to Hybrid and enable Advanced Clock Calibration to Auto in your BIOS and away you go.

Can anybody comment on this - he was using the following mobo - Sapphire AM2RS790GX does anybody know if this would take my current processor for the time being.

Any input would be much appreciated thanks

Theocnoob

Never heard of that MOBO but I'd never ever ever buy a sapphire mobo.

Is your CPU AM2?

If so you can get an AM2+ system

You know your power supply might be the culprit here right?

OP
B

brighteye

what I need is someone to google my motherboard and see if they think it is limiting my system. If not and 10000 is all I can expect from my rig on 3dmark06 then that is great - at least I know my present setups limit. However if somebody out there is running the same processor and graphic card on a different mobo with a much higher score, then I wan't that board.

Basically I am learning as I go, I inherited the board and tried to build the best system I could around it (I realise that this may not have been wise) Any Ideas about where I could go from here - What I am looking for is a better motherboard that will be compatable with my present setup whilst allowing me to keep up in the future.

BTW I am very impressed with the power supply, and in tests this unit performed much better than specified ( both 12v rails pulled 26 amps) so I don't think that is the culprit. That's not to say that if my system was running better on a different motherboard that it might not become an issue.

Yes processor is AM2 (limit on motherboard)

||Console||

I dont think it is the Mb persay i think it has more to do with
Processor - Amd 64 x2 6000+ 3ghz
Over clock that cpu and watch your score go up .

For stock 10k looks right .

OP
B

brighteye

overclocking on this mobo isn't great (google it) can only OC processor from 3ghz to just under 3.2 ghz, have tried to up voltage on ram and processor, enabled/disabled smooth overclocking in bios. Any more than this and computer freezes and won't boot.

So basically what I could really do with some advice on are some decent am2 /am2+ boards with good overclocking potential,

I know it is the motherboard as opposed to power supply which is limiting system.

Help please - and thanks for comments so far

||Console||

Ok a few things . How many amps on your 12v rail with that psu If i remember right the gtx has a recomended 30A rating.

Not only that once you Get a better CPU / MB your power req's will go up even more.

All that being said what is your budget ?

I was priceing out a Sytem for my self the other day and had a AMD quad + a Mb and 4 gigs of ddr3 ram for liek 350CND so even less if you are in the USA

Cuiiey

i reckon you cpu is the problem, and that gtx seems a little outdated...

Really don't see the point of doing a system overhaul just because you want to get over 10000 in 3dmark. If your happy with it and don't notice anything bad then leave it

OP
B

brighteye

Ok thanks for replies,

It is not that I desperately want to get over 10000, it is just that 10000 is where I am at now, and what surprised me was that with both the 9600gso and the 8800 gtx I am scoring the same - now if I have reached some kind of ceiling I need to know - no point in buyingone of the nice new gtx's if something else is limiting performance. This is my 12 year old step sons machine that I built - all this is learning for me.
I don't think it is the psu that is stopping me from overclocking system I am sure it is the motherboard. Isn't the motherboard the deciding factor for timings, fsb - could somebody have a look at my present motherboard and illuminate me as to its limitations please.

I understand what people are saying, yes if I do manage to OC system my power requirements will go up - but for now I know it is not the issue.
somebody out there must have played around with an am2 system, trying to squeeze every last drop out of a system like mine, So which motherboards were you using back in the day?

Thank you all

kkpudge7

10,000 is about what you should expect from that system man. You might be able to squeek 11,000ish out of it if you can get your clocks on that cpu up a little bit.