• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some cooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ39

Registered
First, is it bad, for whatever the reason, for me to leave the side panel off? (Its open towards the wall, so nothing will fall in there)

How should I set fans up (which should suck and which should blow)? (heh, sounds dirty:D) I currently only have a rear fan blowing in. The temps and 5-15% load are 30C CPU, 31C CASE. Here is ASCII art of the case:

|         \|
|          =
|_         = -- PCI slots
| |\       =
|_|/_______=

/
Fan opening
behind the face

rivercom9

No its not bad at all, jsut reduces the need for case fans, however, the only thing that I can think of thats bad with leaving the case panel off is EMI and if you have a child and you have a high rpm fan, well you get the idea. Other than that, thats all I see thats bad.

woodenman80

Right!.

Let me have a go at helping you as i doubt you will get a response of most due to the basic question you ask and the fact that most of the info is available as easy read on the main page etc. We are willing to help but try to help yourself a good way of learning then come for advice :).

Firstly there is no harm in leaving your side panel off your 1 of my pcs runs on a desk with no case what so ever. (im soo poor). But dont go throwing things init especialy conductive things lol and mind small children they have a habit of touching :).

I havent used fans in a while in my case as its H20 cooled but from what is normally recommended is that you draw air from the bottom front of the case with a fan and use the fan position at the rear to extract it to make drawing effect the air tends to cool everything on the way through also should draw the warm air quickly away from the cpu. At present assuming your PSU blows out the back of your case you are working in a small cycle. Your pc sounds fairly cool anyway seeing as your in florida, But im in the UK and at the moment its damn cold. case temps at 20C ambient 18 and i have no fans. To start with id suggest 2 80 mm fans as i expect this is what mounts you have available anyway. If your temps are still a bit higher than you want you can always increase your fans size mod the case to have ducts or go H20 cooling :).

Look here for examples.

http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index09.asp#CASE COOLING

Good luck and welcome to the forums

OP
D

DJ39

Registered
I am so, so sorry.:(

I only noticed the forums, and even then I didn't notice the permanent articles on cooling/airflow.

I feel like such a dunce. Especially since Im the type of person to search a store 4 times before asking for help.:( :eek:

Thank you for the information.

Again, I appologize.

woodenman80

Hey man no need for that

Whoa chappy i didnt mean to sound like your dad LOL, There is no need to apologise at all hell i used to do that thing when i first joined the forums :).

:)