• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some fan controller advice help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dalchi Frusche

Hey all,

My build includes 2 360 radiators and I'm debating over the below 3 fan controllers. I chose these 3 because I have $30 in certificates for Best Buy and these are what they offer online. I have 6 NB E-Loop 12-3 fans to use for the radiators and 4 Coolermaster fans(Link). My question is if any of these can handle all those fans and if any have the ability to handle another 6 fans for push/pull setup on radiators.

NZXT Sentry 3

NZXT Sentry Mesh

NZXT Sentry Mix 2

Please help.... I did what research I could online with my slow work proxy connection

None of those can handle 10 much less 16 fans on its own.

If this was my build I would get some PWM splitters and hook up the radiators to one of the CPU headers. You can daisy chain two together to cover the 12 fans if you decide to go push pull later. I'm not familiar with those CM case fans to know how well they handle voltage regulation, but assuming they do then you could use a fan controller for them. Personally I would buy the Sentry 3 or Mix 2 since they offer 4 pin connections.

You could also hook up the PWM splitter to the controller instead of the mobo if you wanted to in order to control all the fans from the controller instead of letting the system do it. Personally, I prefer to hook everything up to the mobo and let the mobo software vary fan speed with system load.

None of those can handle 10 much less 16 fans on its own.

If this was my build I would get some PWM splitters and hook up the radiators to one of the CPU headers. You can daisy chain two together to cover the 12 fans if you decide to go push pull later. I'm not familiar with those CM case fans to know how well they handle voltage regulation, but assuming they do then you could use a fan controller for them. Personally I would buy the Sentry 3 or Mix 2 since they offer 4 pin connections.

You could also hook up the PWM splitter to the controller instead of the mobo if you wanted to in order to control all the fans from the controller instead of letting the system do it. Personally, I prefer to hook everything up to the mobo and let the mobo software vary fan speed with system load.

Thanks for the tips. I was referring to putting the fans on splitters and hooked to the controller. I was having a hard time trying to figure out how many fans one channel could handle. Any ideas? I was hoping to be able to put 3 E-loops on one channel, 3 on another, then put the CM fans on 1 or split on 2 channels(for the 6 channel one).

I was having a hard time trying to figure out how many fans one channel could handle. Any ideas? I was hoping to be able to put 3 E-loops on one channel, 3 on another, then put the CM fans on 1 or split on 2 channels(for the 6 channel one).

I couldn't find the amp rating for those but it should be listed on the fan. Multiply that by 12 and you'll have the wattage of each fan.

Get a splitter that has its own power connection for the radiator fans. That way you are only taking the pwm signal from the fan controller.

If it was mute I would just buy all pwm fans instead of those CM ones and just control everything with shoplifters from the mobo headers and not use a fan controller at all.

I couldn't find the amp rating for those but it should be listed on the fan. Multiply that by 12 and you'll have the wattage of each fan.

This is a very helpful piece of info. Thanks !

Get a splitter that has its own power connection for the radiator fans. That way you are only taking the pwm signal from the fan controller.

If it was mute I would just buy all pwm fans instead of those CM ones and just control everything with shoplifters from the mobo headers and not use a fan controller at all.

:p If I could afford the PWM fans then I would do something like that. Otherwise, handling the fans by voltage alone is the thing to do. I'm so strapped for cash that selling body parts is looking good right now so I can afford those watercooling parts haha. The fan controller was the only decent thing that they sell at Best Buy for ~30 bucks. I have a 20 gift card and 10 reward cert.

So... I used my $30 dollars to buy a Wifi extender instead. We have spotty coverage in the living room where the media player is. Also our phones get touch and go sitting on the couch.

So in light of that fact, given my fans and all. Is there any internal fan controllers that can be hidden away and controlled with software instead? Looking for something budget conscious but have necessary features.

Back