• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some guy killed himself because of a video game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezman5

First of all, if you are playing computer games for 12 hours every day...that should be a warning to the parents...not to Sony for making an entertaining game.

"Just like every addiction, there are three outcomes, you either quit, cut back, or die. My son died"

He died because he had no will to live, not because he was addicted to a video game. I hate people like that...its always someone elses fault, never their own!

craigiz1

* "Warning: Pregnant or nursing mother's should not play this game."

* "Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that this game cause's mental instability."

WTF! Give me a break! :mad:

Last edited:

Antimatter

Heh, they're calling it EverCrack now :rolleyes: I don't understand how they think they're going to sue Sony, they just make the game, not an addiction; the person that plays the game makes that. I know cuz I was addicted to Starcraft, but not enough to kill myself =\

The only thing I disagree with is that Sony is refusing to unlock her son's account.

h20link

jeez. stuff like this makes me think "at what point was it that common sense died?"

This lady says her son was epileptic but he played anyways, knowing it could cause him to have siezures? Why didn't she stop him? she couldn't pull the plug, or take his computer away?

I mean seriously stuff like this makes me so angry....people should just take responsibility for their actions instead of looking for money.

Gresyth

Computer Abuser
In this case I don't think the parent is going to get very far with a lawsuit.

Woolley knows her son had problems beyond EverQuest, and she tried to get him help by contacting a mental health program and trying to get him to live in a group home. A psychologist diagnosed him with depression and schizoid personality disorder, symptoms of which include a lack of desire for social relationships, little or no sex drive and a limited range of emotions in social settings.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Gresyth said:
In this case I don't think the parent is going to get very far with a lawsuit.

i share those thoughts too. If you have medical evidence that your child isint heathly and then continue to let me do something that you know he is accicted to, i don't think the courts will go for that one.

Black Hawk

The Petrochemical and Oil Refinery state.
Since I play Everquest, I'll speak from first hand experience. That game is addicting. I spent 4-6 hours playing per day during summer break, and quit to pay attention to school. VERY few people play for more than 6 hours per day, and if you are spending 12+ hours a day, Unless you are a game master, where your paid to play, there is something very wrong going on (Note: I'm pretty sure that not even Furor or Sean, the two most elite and famous players in the entire game, play for more than 12 hours a day unless they're doing something special in the guild they are in.) The mother says she knew he had epilepsy, deppression, and schiz. She did nothing, NOTHING, to stop him from playing, even though she knew that he shouldn't be using a computer in the first place, or after he cut himself off from the world and played for more time than he slept. In the Spanish civil war, someone said that the US, UK, and Franch were doing more harm than the Fascists could have ever done, simply by doing nothing. The case is the same here. By doing nothing, she killed her own son.

/rant off

Sorry, needed to vent a bit of steam. Anyhow, Sony isn't to blame. They may just only want your 10 bucks a month, but they didn't let their son/friends/students/employees quit from life and play for 12+ hours a day. Sony will have to put a warning on EQ when Bill Gates files for bankruptcy.

solidsnakexix

I personally grow quite tired of people blaming games on the death of loved ones. My first point is that if they are so into a game due to depression or other things as this person was it is a serious cry for help. Secondly if he had epilepsy then his mother should have stopped him from playing in the first place, their is no way that she couldnt have cut the cord or took his computer. I feel that this women. The mother also recalls an incident where all of his characters money was stolen and he was to the point that he was in tears. This person was obviously obsessive compulsive or clinically depressed. Although somthing in the game may have sparked his suicide he was obviously quite depressed before it happened, and is in no way sony's fault.

-solidsnakexix

FireMogle

Why not blame sony, its the american way of life. If a problem comes along, its someone elses fault, always. Look at things like school shooting being blamed on music and movies, its really quite pathetic that people cant accept the responsabilty for their mistakes, or let their freinds/family do the same.

The flaming Cow

Registered
h20link said:
jeez. stuff like this makes me think "at what point was it that common sense died?"

I believe it was around the point when a woman sued McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on herself from one of their cups. While it rested on her lap, while she was driving! I mean, apparently it is large corporations faults that people are just plain dumb. Sheez!

-The Flaming Cow :mad:

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Obviously there's something wrong with the guy greater than an addiction to a game. The root cause of the guy's problems are what needed to be addressed, EverQuest was only a symptom.

Obsession and addiction are two things I am fairly well versed in. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I'll be clean and sober 6 years on the 20th of this month... :)

Alcohol was only a symptom, of the underlying causes of why I drank. I had alcoholic tendencies long before I ever picked up the first drink. No doubt, this fellow had similar things in his persona going on....

Yet, everyone is soo bloody quick to point the finger, make a scapegoat, and call a lawyer (no offence, Flounder...lol).

Let's put it this way (for those old enough to remember this one, which is similar in a way), I listened to Judas Priest records in the 1980's, as a teenager. I somehow managed to survive and not commit suicide because of it. Some woman tried to sue that band after her kid killed himself...there was a JP album still spinning on the turntable when they found him.... must be that evil music he was listening to, right??

That kid had problems too...underlying causes.

I started drinking because I didn't like who Brian was.

I quit drinking some 15 years later for the exact same reason... my drinking had come full circle. I didn't like who Brian was again.

There's so much help out ther for virtually every type of addiction known. BUT, you have to want it. That's the only way it works......................

Mr B

DS

Registered
This kid committing suicide is a tragedy,the rest of the article is pathetic. These kind of people are whiners and never take responsibilty.:mad:

DarkArctic

solidsnakexix and Mr B have it summed up perfectly. It always seems to be someone's fault if their life is screwed up, but once something goes right their very quick to point out that it was their doing. This kind of thing is really ticking me off.

Look at Columbine, the massacre was "apparently" caused by Doom. I haven't started to kill people and I have played worse games than this. That is how i vent my anger, not build it up.

-DarkArctic

Gilgamesh

WTF i hate those parents, do nothing and cry when they already have a problem. Why don't blame the people who made internet possible? I think she should blame herself because she was the one that most likely was paying the electrical bill.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
craigiz1 said:
Mr. B,

It had to be the record. He was playing it backwards, right?

LOL....actually, that would be listening to Black Sabbath at 78 RPM's, or Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" backwards....:p

There really is a 12 phrase message in "Stairway...". I got ahold of some Christian radio program on tape years ago, that literally dissected the song. Starting at one phrase in the song, you can work your way backwards and forwards (spinning the LP backwards, of course, and really find them.)

The key phrase is "if we", from the line "And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,..."

Played forwards and backwards, the words if we say "if we" BOTH ways!! If you record yourself saying "if we", and play it backwards, you get something that sounds like "eeyu fee". Searching back and forth turns up the rest of the phrases....

I can only remember a few of them, but those were;

Listen, we've been there

There's no escaping it

Satan

If we

Gotta live for Satan

Master Satan

Honest to God I did find these on my old vinyl record... :eek:

solidsnakexix

Although the death of this person is a tragedy i must continue to stress that it is because of people who cannot accept the responsibility of something that they feel guilty about. It is because of these people that people under the age of 18 will not be able to freely purchase games. However maybe this way if it happens again the parents will finally have to take responsibility because 95% of the time it will be them who will flash their id and spend their son or daughters money on a game. I mean lets face it there is no way that a sales person will refuse money or tell a parent that the game may be unappropriate because its money out of their pockets. Even now the rating system is in affect but is ignored by parents just because it suggests that the person should be 18 doesnt seem to deteer parents from purchasing these games. i myself have played violent games sinc i was young and i am not a psycho, as darkarctic pointed out it is these people that will ultimatley ruin gaming for generations to come. I am not sure how others take these reports but i become more and more disgusted with the way the irresponsibility of parents and maybe if they were better examples their children wouldnt try to push their mistakes on others.

-Solidsnakexix:mad:

Indigo_ts

It's as if they are suing because the game is too good. I would be proud to have made something so entertaining and with enough depth to keep people playing for 12 hours at a time.