• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some help for a noob please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

]-[itman

Hey everyone, well, I'm not new to overclocking, but I am new to case modding. So, I'd just like to get a good idea of the tools I'll be needing to get into this. I have seen the various guides listing different tools, but I'd like to get some feedback from people here on different models that you prefer and the different bits/blades that work best for you. I'll just be adding a window to my case for now, and might go into other areas later.

bluedude2288

I've only done one case, but i'm hooked, i don't know about a dremel, i have one tried it once, just wasn't thrilled about the sparks that shot up when cutting, i use a jigsaw, its VERY loud. You also must wear eye protection when cutting, and gloves would be nice too(when cutting with out gloves it feels like someone is poking you with a thousand pins). You need a soldering iron if you plan on wiring fans and lights. You need a drill, a lot of sand paper if you plan to paint it.
hope this helps!

pauldriver

]-[itman said:
Hey everyone, well, I'm not new to overclocking, but I am new to case modding. So, I'd just like to get a good idea of the tools I'll be needing to get into this. I have seen the various guides listing different tools, but I'd like to get some feedback from people here on different models that you prefer and the different bits/blades that work best for you. I'll just be adding a window to my case for now, and might go into other areas later.
on the low end,

Radio Shack hand nibbler $10.00 and a drill (you probably have one).
Hacksaws $5-10

in the middle,

Rotary Tool (dremel, wizard, etc.) $25-125.00 and cutting disks $20.00

in the highend,

Pneumatic Nibbler (with compressor), Drill presses, Bandsaws, Jig Saws, etc.

in the extreme?

Plasma Cutting table!!!! $100,000

Paul

Last edited:

Ziggey

I use a dremel (heavy duty blades mostely, and many different type of bits ...etching etc etc), power drill, soldering set, and a jewlers tool kit with mini files and a nice adjustable hack saw.
These have worked well for me, but a jig saw would be nice. Maybe I'll add it to my X-Mas list.

notasparagus

Well, if you are starting I would get a jigsaw. It can cut windows and plexi much faster than a dremel, which can take forever in thick metal. If you are doing blowholes I would recomend a holesaw, but of course that requires a drill. Holesaws run about 20-25 bucks for a good one. Also don't forget a set of files to clean up the cuts you have made.

For electrical work, I would get a cheap soldering kit from crapshack and that will get you started.

Finally, dont forget measuring tools. It helps alot to have a tape measure, rafters square, and a t square.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
I would use a Dremel only for the detail work. The jigsaw is where its at for cuttin. Second only to Reciprocating saw, of course :D:D

palee72

Check Wal-mart for your dremel.. They usually have a kit with misc. bits and chucks on sale... and get a corded multi speed version.

pauldriver