• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone has to be stupid enough to ask!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeLoS

And that stupid user is me, i'm a big computer lover, and i've learnt alot of terms over the years, OC'ing has never been my thing and i don't intend to start just yet till i know anything i touch can easily be replaced.......

To the point...... Seriously........ What is folding? .......

I see these "Folding for Team ****(insert team name)" messages and i'm baffled as to what the hell it all means.

Anyone care to enlighten me?.... or is this a trade secret kind of thing? :D

Yes you may laugh and make fun of me!! :D

Yuriman

Ok, folding is a program that folds protiens to help further our disease research. I have a nice all-in-one package that runs in the background, and uses axcess cpu cycles to fold. It will not slow down any apps. Just uses left over power.

bafbrian

I say: Give Folding a try and then it will explain itself altogether.

But anyway, it is basically what Yuriman said.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
just a dumb side note, i swear folding keeps my pc in top shape.
if i dont have it folding ive noticed id start getting random sceen locks and crashs.

this may just be me but on a highley oced machine if its being run and the snot being beat out of it it acts just as it did prior to burning it in.

i stopped folding for 2 weeks while doing some upgrades,then the lock ups started. i went and burned prime for 24 hours and looped 3dmark for a few hours and all is fine again.sounds dumb as hell i admit but ill say if helping cancer research keeps me from lockups im all for it,

OP
T

TeLoS

Well, i kind of understand, but there's no way i'm spending hours going through the forum pages looking for the "what is folding" post.........

Still looking for it.........

I see lots of posts related to folding, but none explaining in detail what it is. :(

I'll keep searching for now!

OP
T

TeLoS

NVM, found all the info i need, sounds like a great idea........

I'll proberly join the team..........unless anyone wants to pull out a shotgun and stop me???? :D

OP
T

TeLoS

What team am i folding for?...............is this specific or can i just choose one? :D

Is it Team 32? home team 32? ....i need the team name to enter into the program. :D

ZedBias

Nice one TeLoS, I didnt have a clue what it was at first, so I joined and then read up on it.

Join and watch yourself climb the leaderboard. :D

*EDIT* P.S What is your avatar?? Its well random!

OP
T

TeLoS

Got it all installing and running now...... gotta do my bit it think. ;)

Am i right in assuming its ok to add the Team 32 link to my sig? :D