• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something Died......................Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfunk

I left my computer running 12 hours yesterday. I went to turn it off before I went to bed. All I saw was a black screen. Computer was still running. Being too tired, I just manually shut it off. This morning, I boot up the computer and nothing. Just black screen. I tried to boot holding down Insert but nothing. I have a feeling that my Corsair memory is dead. I don't think it's the videocard. What do you guys think?

Atari

Well I don't know if you tryed the basic trouble shooting stuff yet so heres a run down of some things you can do.

First, you should try clearing your cmos by moving the jumper on your mobo. Make sure you wait at least a minute for it to clear then try moving the jumper back over and boot up (make sure your power plug is disconnected when you do this).

Second, I would then see if any of your devices are causing the problem i.e vid card or memory. This is where spare parts really come in handy.. If you have some other stick of memory of vid card that is compatible try slipping those in and see if she'll boot up for yah.

Another thing yah might try is sliding your memory to another DIMM slot. Sometimes the slot itself can corrode or just stop working altogether.

Anyways theres alot more stuff to try, but give these a try if you havent already.

dreammmatt

i wonder, do you hear the hard drive spin up, or make noise? a dead hard drive would explain your running system going to a black screen - and though it wouldnt 'keep' you from booting, at least you should see the splash screen, i have seen dead drives keep systems from working depending on the peculiarities of that system. Also, i wonder, if you are hearing anything - a la bios beeps or anything like that - - - in terms of all the noises, hear anything unusual? or dont hear anything usual? lol just some possible investigatory tip, i guess you could say...

OP
kfunk

kfunk

I hear a single beep when I first start my computer. That's normal.

I haven't checked for the HD noise due to many fans I have.

I'm leaning towards my memory acting up because I had problem like that b4.

Sup Now

Registered
If you hear a single beep thats usually a good indicator the mobo is booting w/o errors. Try removing your vidcard and reseating it.

I've had this problem before, and my vidvard just needed to be reseated in the slot.

DaddyB

I agree with what Atari said, those are the first steps in cases like this.

One thing that I find strange is that it gives one beep, that indicates it has POSTed properly...if the CPU were dead you should get no beeps at all, if its the RAM then you should get a different beep code and another if there's a problem with the video card. Try to boot it up and give it a minute, see if the hard drive access light flashes (like windows is loading) or if you hear that little sound windows plays when it boots up (assuming u have it connected to speakers), perhaps the video card just isn't displaying or the monitor cable is unplugged/bad. I doubt that is the problem but it is possible.

Failing that go with what Atari said, trying another video card (even a PCI one) is a good idea given what you have found so far. But never underestimate the power of a CMOS clear, I thought I had killed my mobo once when I was working on it live and I shorted something causing a big spark... it wouldn't boot after that but once I cleared the CMOS it was good as new!

Below is a list of BIOS beep codes for your BIOS (Award) which might come in handy if you start getting other beep codes:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

OP
kfunk

kfunk

I was wrong. I did not hear any beep during bootup.

DaddyB

Well try the CMOS clear if you havent already, no beep points to the CPU as the culprit but it still isnt a sure thing, could also be the motherboard. Trying another CPU in that board would be a good idea if you have acces to one.

EDIT: odd that this has now been moved to Abit boards when it now seems that the CPU is the problem....

OP
kfunk

kfunk

I tried clearing CMOS. Nothing.

By the way admin, it's not Abit board. I have multiple computers.

DaddyB

I assumed that was the board we were talking about too so maybe you dont have an Award BIOS, in which case that link I provided is no help. If you are talking about another socket A board then I think you should try that xp 1700 in it, if it boots with that then you will know the CPU is dead. If it doesn't then it's probably the motherboard although it could be a number of other things. I only say that because I am reasonably sure it's the CPU or motherboard...

Normally you should try to pull out ALL of the cards (even unplug the IDE drives and floppy from the mobo) but leave in the CPU, video card and RAM. If it still doesnt POST then you should pull out the RAM and video card to see if you can get some kind of POST beep out of it, if you do get a beep then the CPU and mobo are likely OK. Then you should try it with the RAM too and see if it won't POST again - obviously if it won't give a POST beep then the RAM would be the likely problem (nothing is guaranteed here).

The last step is to try another component that you know works in place of the one you think is dead (ie RAM or CPU...or try that CPU in another board).

Hopefully that will help you find out what is dead (since it still wont post after the CMOS clear it is almost certain something is dead), post back if you need more advice and let us know how it goes.

Atari

DaddyB is correct.. Gut that computer till the only peripherals left in it is 1 stick of memory (try 1 stick at a time if yah have 2). a hard drive and a vid card. See what happens.. Byt the way, I would suggest you pull out your cpu and do a visual inspection of it.. Look for burn marks ect. Clean up the cpu pop it back with some arctic silver or whatever and boot it up.

7keys

If you have multiple computers just try each part in another computer until you find the culprit. Weed um out!