• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

something wrong with bios since new gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CURTO

hey guys my mate is having an issue with his computer since he upgraded from a 9800gtx to a 4890
you see hes narrowed it down to the fsb
basically if the fsb manual control is enabled the computer is not stable
like, it wont turn on
just resets the bios
and hes updated his bios, cleared the cmos, and tried a different gpu socket and even tried the 9800gtx again (in which case he can OC again)
but yea its strange isnt it?
like hes got a e6600, ep45-ds4, and some watercooled 1400 corsair ddr2 ram (2gb)
and yea, power supply used to be his dads which ran a better setup so its not power
anyways yea, if he touches the fsb it doesnt boot
any ideas?

EDIT: yeah like, only does this with the 4890 in, if the 9800 is back it works

Jolly-Swagman

The problem Lies with not removing the Nvidia Drivers first befroe installing the ATI 4870 Graphics Card
Use Driver sweeper/Cleaner to remove Driver reboot and install ATI card then the ATI Drivers nothing to do with Bios or FSB

What PSU specs has he got

OP
CURTO

CURTO

The problem Lies with not removing the Nvidia Drivers first befroe installing the ATI 4870 Graphics Card
Use Driver sweeper/Cleaner to remove Driver reboot and install ATI card then the ATI Drivers nothing to do with Bios or FSB

What PSU specs has he got

a 650w, not sure exactly, but at least 400 - 500w on the 12v
so you reckon he didnt remove the drivers properly.. and thats why the bios is screwing up when the 4890 is in?

OP
CURTO

CURTO

***UPDATE***
my mate swapped 4890s with his dad and he was able to OC
but his dad wasnt able to
so we though ok maybe this card is stuffed, so i brought over my 4890
and tried it, same results
now my 4890 is the exact same card where as the other 4890 that works is like, a different brand and heatsink design and im pretty sure its a different reference model too
however the cards that dont work on either his dads or his, work on mine
i have an i7 setup
they have dual core setups
any ideas? basically as soon as you change something in the intelligent tweeker (yea theyre gigabyte boards) it fails and resets the section as if the OC has failed
the cards work, but u cant OC the cpu
but with the older card (im pretty sure its reference 1:0:0 as opposed to the new ones that have 2:0:0) everything works fine