• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony Vaio F270 - Restoring and Upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SawleyRam

Hi all. Apologies if this is not the right category... I couldn't see where else it could fit in.

As you may have guessed from the thread title this relates to a bit of retro computing. I have inherited a Sony Vaio PCG-F270 which comes with all the original documents, CDs, charger, some extra RAM and a few accessories. It's in great condition externally but I'll be opening it up to see the condition inside which will also help me understand what hardware its running on. All the usual stuff such as cleaning, dusting, etc.

I know they can be upgraded to a maximum of 192mb RAM, but most of my vintage experience is with desktop machines, so I don't know what else can be upgraded.

Does anybody know what I could do to max out her hardware? Not a lot out there on forums new or old, so thought I'd join this community!

Thanks! :)

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 19.54.32.png

Last edited:

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Some laptops didn't have a soldered CPU or GPU, so those may be interchangeable. Otherwise it is disk, RAM, and peripherals. Maybe a higher resolution screen, but that is unlikely.

The laptop looks to be in incredible shape.

OP
S

SawleyRam

Some laptops didn't have a soldered CPU or GPU, so those may be interchangeable. Otherwise it is disk, RAM, and peripherals. Maybe a higher resolution screen, but that is unlikely.

The laptop looks to be in incredible shape.

When I get chance this weekend I'll open it up and see if it is soldered on. I think I've seen a few units using pin connectors so I can only hope... While I'm in there I'm sure it'll need a huge clean out. I think the HDD is probably original so I'll look to for a SSD so make data transfer quicker.

Yeah it's in really good nick! All the CDs and guides that come with it are original and nice and crisp. I know it's never going to provide the convenience of a modern machine, but I've got lots of uses for it and I just enjoy the project.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
If you are going to use the laptop, you should consider security. XP has tons of known unpatched vulnerabilities, so connecting to the internet is dangerous. Either give it no access to the internet, or a newer operating system. Newer versions of Windows are unlikely to support it, so you'd likely have to use Linux.