• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony's OTHER DRM software opens security hole. wonder if PS3 will be this bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z0n3

When will they learn? I fear for the PS3's future at the moment. Many people, myself included, are still boycotting Sony after their last stunt. If this were the sixties/seventies it would be about time for a sit-in.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
This is not new. I found out about it while I was googling stuff for one of the other threads and I mentioned it there. If memory serves, at the time, there were 23 titles known to have DRM on them but Sony was trying to play the "we released 20 titles with XXX DRM" while trying to

a. pretend that there were not already more titles known to be protected than the number they were admitting to, thus suggesting that YYY DRM was in play already and;
b. trying not to actually tell anyone the titles that they had protected. One is forced to conclude that they were trying to limit the number of CDs that they had to replace. I suppose that if they had managed to keep that secret, they would not have taken as big of a bath over the matter. However, it should be noted that by failing to fully disclose the matter, an obvious effect would have been to assure that the software would remain live in the computers of anyone who managed to miss the story.

OP
nahmus

nahmus

this is the MediaMax DRM software that was released before the XCP stuff that got all the heat a few weeks ago. I guess someone decided to go through other sony programs to see if there were any problems. Good thing they did. I bet other companies are going over their DRM offerings to avoid this kind of publicity.