• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorry guys....Ijust can't reach 2.00 Hours at SETI Bench....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hipro5

Sorry guys....I just can't reach 2.00 hours in SETI Bench....

Sorry guys....I just can't reach 2.00 hours in SETI Bench....

I tried but......nothing.......To "break" 2.00 hours in SETI Bench you have to bench at almost 3700MHz with a memory bandwidth of about 4500Mb/s........So I'll try again as soon as I get my Pentium 4 ES 3,06GHz.....I hope that the Hyperthreading stuf will help me to do that......

Here's the best I can do right now.....

SETI_bench_3630.png

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
:mad:

You have let us all down, man.

Don't come back until you are under 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D

Man, that is too much- apologizing for having a 2 hour and 3 minute wu! lol

That is still blazing fast, hipro- I guess you can keep hanging around :D

EDIT:
I had a thought, too (so now I have a headache of course!):

what have you done to optimize the operating system for the bench? If you are running nonessential services, etc., you may be able to gain a bit more......just a thought.

OP
hipro5

hipro5

I've done EVERYTHING guys....but nothing...... :(

Anyways....I'll just wait for my new CPU to come and I'll be back....;)

EyelessFace

Just an Idea... why dont you try the "high" setting for client priority - my WU have seemed to lower a couple minutes even at the normal setting. Just a tip...

(And why are you apologizing, my dually barely does 13 in one day, your WU times are something we should all aspire to have!)

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Dunno if SETIDriver does it or not, but shut off that verbose option, and hide that DOS box! Saved me 30 minutes on my P250.

Looks like you're running some flavor of the NT 5.x kernel (2000 or XP). TWEAK THE CRAP OUT OF THE SERVICES! Shut off *EVERYTHING* except the bare criticals - service for the services, and internet connectivity.

Also, blank the screen after 1 minute - saved me a few more minutes on that same Pentium.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
SETI Spy can hog a few precious seconds per WU I've found. Right now, [email protected] has had 76 hours 40 minutes of CPU time, and SETISpy has used a whopping 10 minutes 48 seconds!

That means 7 minutes, SETISpy steals a whole second!! Though at 2 hours, you'll only shave off 17 seconds, but that may be the diffrence when you add all the other tweaks!

Would downloading the diskless linux thing work? From what I've heard, Linux is supposed to crunch faster than windows (less stuff eating CPU time... especially since this is a barebones linux), and Berkeley even has 586 compiled versions. Might do the trick.... Though you'd need help setting it up I think.

JigPu

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
Even better try using just the clc. Both SETISpy and SETIDriver uses some resources (minimal but they use them) if you close them both and use just the clc (without the -verbose tag also) you might be able to shave those 180 seconds you need to change it :D

Good job, hydro. You surely would like to have that amazingly fast WU time :D :beer :D

markodude

hehe, wait til I get my Prometia Hipro - Ill be on your heels - my 2400+ has just done a 2.43hr on air cooling at 175x12.5, memory Cas2 [email protected] - fastest Athlon now!
Best P4 score I have done so far is a 2.66hr, thats at 2.95ghz and DDR414 Cas2.5
What is going on at the overclockers.com team SETI website anyway - benchmarks havent been updated for a month!

OP
hipro5

hipro5

markodude said:
hehe, wait til I get my Prometia Hipro - Ill be on your heels - my 2400+ has just done a 2.43hr on air cooling at 175x12.5, memory Cas2 [email protected] - fastest Athlon now!
Best P4 score I have done so far is a 2.66hr, thats at 2.95ghz and DDR414 Cas2.5
What is going on at the overclockers.com team SETI website anyway - benchmarks havent been updated for a month!

You'll need a lot of Memory bandwidth to get better resaults.....Prometeia will help you but not as much as your memory module....;)

OP
hipro5

hipro5

Mictlan said:
Even better try using just the clc. Both SETISpy and SETIDriver uses some resources (minimal but they use them) if you close them both and use just the clc (without the -verbose tag also) you might be able to shave those 180 seconds you need to change it :D

Good job, hydro. You surely would like to have that amazingly fast WU time :D :beer :D

What do you mean by "clc"....Can you please explain it to my in simple words coz I'm "new" in SETI stuff.....:)

markodude

He just means the std CLI with no addons Hipro....
I do need better memory bandwidth on the Athlon - Ive tried 200x11, it runs stable but my times are worse as I have to drop to Cas2.5
I popped a stick of my XMS3000 in there and could not get it to run stable at Cas2 either, even with 3.2v. My Micron PC2100 is as good as this stuff! I really need XMS3200/3500C2 to be pushing my memory bandwidth any further.....
Prometia should get me stable at 2.4ghz which will get me a 2.2 or therabouts I reckon. To go lower I need to run 200x12 CAS2 Turbo so would need Prometia and memory.
Never mind its still the one of the fastest SETI benchmarks Ive seen on an air cooled chip. Bear in mind it beats all P4's on there except yours, which is because you have it unlocked!
BTW can I have your 2.66ES when you get a 3.06 :D - will the 3.06 be an ES chip? I have 2 ES chips now and both are locked :(

The Wizard

2 hours limit.. in reach ??

Hi Hipro !!

Nice times with your rig !!

I have put together a dual Xeon 2.6Ghz on an Intel SHG2
mobo. Waiting on my memory to this nice complement in my
SETI farm. The mobo needs ECC registered memory and delivery is on friday this week. Will install it immediately to see what it
can make with the reference WU. I'm not sure what this baby can do but it will be an major disappointment if it doesen't break the 2 hour mark. Will be back with info.
Does anyone run this setup ?? and knows how it will perform ??

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
hipro5 said:
What do you mean by "clc"....Can you please explain it to my in simple words coz I'm "new" in SETI stuff.....:)

What you can do is the following:

In a new folder copy all the *.sah files found in the SETIDriver folder that contain the benchmark WU. Then copy the setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe file. Create a shortcut to that last file. In the properties of the shortcut click into the location and add the "-stop_after_process" tag after the complete name of the program. This way the program will crunch the WU and when it finishs it, will stop waiting for the user interface. Now the only problem will be seeing what time did you got.

As a side note. If you leave all the bottom boxes cleared, SETIspy will only use the resources needed to track down the WU when you use the Refresh Now button. You can try it and see if any of this help you shave those 180 seconds you need. :D