• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sorry nother noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1cnolan

okay so ive been looking into watercooling...
im gonna machine my own water blocks the only question left is

what can i get that would be cheap but would work effectively.. i don't want to waste a lot of money on something i can beat with simple air cooling.. upgradeable would be nice but most importantly needs to be effective at a cheap price.. i don't know where to buy this stuff except dangerden so i could use some help...i want this for christmas and i feel my video card is screaming for some watercooling..it appears to be my most heat affected component... some help would be appreciated.. a price and location list would be awesome.....thanks....btw i know im gonna catch a lotta stuff for this being such a hard to answer question and that i should read around.. thats all ive been doing but ive been reading on how the systems work rather than how much they cost so i could effectively put any system together based on whats cheap and effective.heat transfers and what not...creating the besst waterblock and other such maddness...

well thanks in advance...

Albigger

if you're looking for high flow pumps some of the higher model danner mags can be had at petsmart.com

and I know the via aqua 1300 is pretty cheap, don't know about the eheim's but a lot of people use them also. you'll save some money machining your own block, just make it simple and don't waste a lot of time on it.

haven't cooled a gpu so i'll let other's field that part.

oh, and for the rad. pick up a heater core at the local auto parts store - got mine for $21 after tax. its 6" x 7 3/4" x 2"

OP
A

a1cnolan

awesome

hey thanks for the prompt reply... 1200 gph? sounds like alot.. i heard that the waterblock should have fast flow while the radiator should be slow. so i was thinking about finding a huge radiator so the water would beinside of it longer...is it a logical conclusion to draw that if i have a bigger radiator it would be more effective at cooling the water in a high flow situation?
also thanks for the help with everything.... gonna add this up real quick...

Iron Hawk

Heater cores have a large internal volume, so the water velocity through it will be lower, A heater core will work really good, Sometimes you can get a good deal on Ebay.

Since87

Don't make the mistake I did. Buy a copper heatercore. (Assuming you'll have a copper waterblock)

Mixing metals in your watercooling brings increased corrosion risks.

Frodo Baggins

1200 GPH would prolly blow up our connections. The numbers next to the pump names don't always mean the GPH. I'm not sure what hte Via 1300 pumps, but I think it's like 300 PH or somethin

The Overclocker

first of all the best place for good, cheap watercooling is www.aquastealth.com i have bought from them and think they are great, you should get:

1. black edge waterblock - $30 - it is a very good waterblock and on par with a maze 2, but much cheaper (and now looks really cool as it is powder coted with chromed barbs) you could go cheaper then this and get the unablock for $15

2. you will also need a hold down device if you go for the black edge (the unablock comes with one) $11

3. heatercore - $35

4. via 1300 pump - $20

misc stuff (tubes, ext) $10-20