• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sort this one out if you can: 40mm fan+NB HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L337 M33P

Okies now that I have my decent cooling for my CPU I'd like to put a small 40mm Akasa fan on my Northbridge, which I bought for that exact puropse.

However there is a small snag. When I took my motherboard out to mount the SK7 (Not really needed, the clip is weaker than my stock HS clip) I discovered that the NB heatsink is expoxied/stuck on to the NB. :bang head:

I want to mount the fan on top of the heatsink WITHOUT drilling holes as it won't come off the MB and I want it to be semi permanent.

Anyone got any ideas? I'll post a pic of the NB heatsink in a bit.

EDIT: Pics for all. The fan holes sit quite nicely over the gaps between the outermost vanes.

Northbridge2.JPG

Northbridge1.JPG

Last edited:

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
You could use high temp hot glue. Place a small dab on each corner and attach. This would be a semi-permanant mount.
THE FANMAN:cool:

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
Your nb heatsink looks identical to mine. I justed attached the fan with two screws ontop of the hs. Get screws that are big enough to fasten between the fins.

OP
L337 M33P

L337 M33P

The mounting holes on the fan are smaller than the gaps between the vanes. I might try the glue gun method but I don't know if we even have one :-/

EDIT: Yes we have the technology :D

brb

Last edited:

mfjonny

Most mb's that come with active nb cooling simply stick on 40mm fans right onto the nb cooler by screwing screws straight into the hs.

I trying using a screw from my old gigabyte nb fan and works like a charm on the asus a7n8x nb... I would think that using screws would be a much better "semi-permanent" solution.

EDIT: Shoot, sorry man, I didn't see your last post.

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
DaWiper said:
Your nb heatsink looks identical to mine. I justed attached the fan with two screws ontop of the hs. Get screws that are big enough to fasten between the fins.

Almost all NB fans come attached with the mounting screws
threaded between the fins.
But I don't think that will work with the large fins
on that A7N8X sink. You'd have to have LARGE diameter
screws. :(

How about gluing some zip ties on the fins?
I've seen a couple A7N8X with the NB fan atached that way.

Mustanley

I removed the northbridge heatsink from my A7N8X Deluxe. Don't pull on it, just twist it and it will pop off (after removing the push pins). It is stuck on there with a tacky thermal pad. I cleaned it up and reapplied the same heatsink with Ceramique.

sp00L

On my 2500+ I use an A7N8X-X and I simply removed the push pins and twisted the heatsink off. Then cleaned up the remaining thermal pad with alcohol. I applied some cermamique then used 4 thin nylon wire ties to mount a 40mm fan I canabilized from a Hardcano 5. I put 2 ties together and looped them under tabs at the bottom of the heatsink (inbetween the push pins and nb) and then threaded them through two corner holes on the fan at the top of the heatsink. It works fine and the fan is snug.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
What I did in a situation like yours, is to take 4 small (TINY) rubber O rings and superglued them to the heatsink's top on the 4 corners, then I glued the fan to the O rings. This serves 2 purposes, one it isolates vibration, and two it raises the fan slightly to improve the airflow. There is a third benefit, you can just cut the O rings with a razor blade when you want to remove the fan, then clean the superglue off with Nailpolish remover.

Picture_009.jpg

dalilman52

from ur pics, it looks like u are using the TT grill on the SFII, PLZ PLZ PLZ remove it, it REALLY messes with airflow a LOT if u are using it at full speed, plz take that grill out of there!

yeah i was also thinking about putting a fan on the NB but then i thought, the incredibly fast fan on my cpu's heatsink should be blowing enough air around that area to cool the NB heatsink off

clocker2

When faced with the same dilemma on my Asus board, here's what I did...
Remove board, release and remove the bottom heatsink retaining pin.
Go to hardware store and get a 6-32x 1/2" plastic screw (this will fit through the hole in the board and heatsink), and a threaded aluminum standoff ( if I recall it was 1 1/2" tall, but you can measure how high yours needs to be- make it about 1/4" taller than your HS...}.
Put the screw in from the bottom and use the standoff like a nut on the top to retain the HS.
Then you can screw in from the top, one corner of the fan of your choice...I used a 80mm fan figuring that the extra coverage might just help cool down something else important.
You will end up with something like this...
010104-mini-mobo10.JPG

I've been running this way for quite a while and the fan hasn't moved/rotated despite only being mounted in one corner.

SunRedRX7

Use 4 drywall screws to hold on your fan to that heatsink on the northbridge. The plastic drywall screws wedge perfectly into the heatsink fins.

OP
L337 M33P

L337 M33P

WOW Thanks for the replies people

I did try to twist the NB heatsink but it was fairly permanently stuck on and I didn't want to risk breaking the MB trying to get it off.

The glue stick idea didn't work, the glue sticks are too big for the gun we have :rolleyes:

I might try normal PVA glue.

The screw idea is kind of out as the fan mounting holes are about 3.5mm, much smaller than the gaps between the vanes. I tried using nuts wedged between the vanes but that wasn't stable enough.

Dalilman: I like the fan grill it looks pretty, and also prevents me from sticking my fingers in the 5000rpm blades :p

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
L337 M33P said:

I did try to twist the NB heatsink but it was fairly permanently stuck on and I didn't want to risk breaking the MB trying to get it off.

Take a credit card and place it right next to the Northbridge Heatsink. Then take a butterknife and place it on top of the credid card. Then gently twist. (If you do this on two sides it will come off easy enough)

dalilman52

L337 M33P said:

The glue stick idea didn't work, the glue sticks are too big for the gun we have :rolleyes:

I might try normal PVA glue.

The screw idea is kind of out as the fan mounting holes are about 3.5mm, much smaller than the gaps between the vanes. I tried using nuts wedged between the vanes but that wasn't stable enough.

Dalilman: I like the fan grill it looks pretty, and also prevents me from sticking my fingers in the 5000rpm blades :p

well if u really need the finger-protection, then replace it with a chrome wire grill, the TT grill really inhibits airflow and makes the fan whine or make other noises at high speeds

OP
L337 M33P

L337 M33P

This is what I eventually did: It's basically the screw/nut idea but I wedged it further down the fins and it was steady as a rock :)

Oh and I took the Tt grill off after I took this picture.

Northbridge3.JPG

Robbie

Silversinksam said:
What I did in a situation like yours, is to take 4 small (TINY) rubber O rings and superglued them to the heatsink's top on the 4 corners, then I glued the fan to the O rings. This serves 2 purposes, one it isolates vibration, and two it raises the fan slightly to improve the airflow. There is a third benefit, you can just cut the O rings with a razor blade when you want to remove the fan, then clean the superglue off with Nailpolish remover.

That's what I've done is the past as well. The glue holds up just fine.
Give it a shot.
Rob