• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Blaster Live!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

ok i have a live! value that i use and wondering something about it. I know that some were made with 5.1 and other with not. how can you tell? It has 5 ports on the back + a game port

SkaGoatMaster

nope... the Live 5.1 is diff than a standard live. It has to have the AC-3 decoding to be true 5.1. the easiest way to tell is look at your card, it it say "Live! 5.1" then it's a 5.1 card. it says it in a little half rounded box on the top right side of the card.

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

i don't think it is
i just some 5.1 speakers and its all hooked up to the card but i dunno if the center does anything.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
you can have 5 channel sound with a sub (5.1) without a 5.1 dolby card (i think dolby is the right one) because the SB live has 5.1 channel input on the card, (1 is rear, 1 is front, 1 is center/sub...but some cards have the correct encoding...so that you can run true dolby or dolby digital, depending on the card

Yodums

I've had a Sound Blaster Live Value and currently own a Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 now. From my understanding, the 4.1 don't have that extra digital connector for the center speaker and subwoofer (The yellow connector).

Yodums

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I have a SBLive Value and SBLive Platinum. They are identical cards, except for the Rev #. My Platinum is 0060. It is several years old. The SBLive Value is Rev 0100. It is only six months old. As far as I can tell, by visual inspection, the cards are identical.

Yodums

cmcquistion said:
I have a SBLive Value and SBLive Platinum. They are identical cards, except for the Rev #. My Platinum is 0060. It is several years old. The SBLive Value is Rev 0100. It is only six months old. As far as I can tell, by visual inspection, the cards are identical.

However, is ur Platinum 5.1? Does it have a yellow digital port?

lonewolf1983

ive always been under the impression that the standard Live and Live value are only 4.1 (albeit the original with a digital out, but not 5.1 digital out).
The DE is basically the same as the higher end cards (full 5.1)(platinum,MP3,Xgamer) without the software and live drives.