• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Blaster sound cards and AGP video cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

I was cleaning out some old boxes today and found some sound blaster sound cards and some AGP video cards. Does this stuff still have some usefulness anymore? I have 1 PCI128 card, 2 Sound Blaster Live cards and 1 Sound Blaster Audigy SB1394 card. I didn't realize I had that many sound cards. The video cards are AGP and are Nvidia. One is MSI part # 8937 and the other is Axel3D part # AX-76GT/512D2A8CDHT.

Axel specs:
Axle 3D AX-76GT/512D2A8CDHT. Graphics processor family: NVIDIA, Processor frequency: 400 MHz. Graphics adapter memory type: GDDR2, Memory bus: 128 bit, Memory clock speed: 533 MHz. Maximum resolution: 2560 x 1600 pixels. Dual Link DVI. Interface type: AGP 8x. Cooling type: Active

All I could find on the MSI:
Fx5900xt 128Mb

I hate to trash them if they are still useful. They all worked when I put them away.

Honestly, they're probably not worth much. AGP obviously isn't used anymore and most modern onboard audio will probably rival if not surpass the sound cards, quality wise.

But you can always scope out Ebay, then it's a question of is your time worth it to list them and ship them out.

There are some guys who enjoy benching vintage hardware so you might be able to sell the FX5900XT in the Classifieds. Still not worth much, but it would be nice to see someone have fun with it before it ends up in recycle.

Seems the Axle 3D is a GeForce 7600GT. Another possible vintage bencher.

I'm not looking to sell them especially on Ebay. I thought someone on here might be interested or know if people would be interested. I don't want to toss them if they could be used by someone. I guess i"ll just toss them then. Thanks all.

List them in the Classifieds here. I am interested & I know a few other members bench vintage (I'm looking at you Mr.Scott & McCoy) & may be interested too.

Hold onto them and there's a chance they'll be worth a lot more as "retro"/"antique" hardware in the future. (Just look at how much some old computers like Amigas are selling for!)

...before it ends up in recycle.
Which is where I was going to come in. I don't believe they will ever be of value. If they were rare or somehow special to begin with, or perhaps "new old stock" - still sealed in a never-opened box - then you might find a buyer. But as they stand, you won't get enough to pay for the shipping and I doubt anyone will be willing to pay to have it shipped to them.

You could get lucky, but I would not hold my breath.

You can simply hold on to them, but then what? And for how long? You likely will just end up needing to get rid of them anyway. But they should not be tossed in the trash where they will end up in land fills. Printed circuit boards (PCBs) contain hazardous waste materials and should be properly recycled.

PCBs also contain precious metals which can be recycled. Not a lot, of course, but recycling them is much better for the environment than mining and refining from raw ore.

The Salvation Army recycles old electronics. You can also Bing Google "where to recycle electronics" or check out E-cycling Central to find approved recycling centers in your local area.

A couple years ago I decided to clean out my basement store room of all my retired old electronics I was saving because "I might need it some day". :rolleyes: I had a bunch of old motherboards, expansion cards, CPUs, RAM, cases, printers, drives, stereo and home theater receivers and amplifiers, optical disk players, CRT and LCD monitors and more. I loaded my truck up and took it out to our local electronics recycling center and they paid me $80 for the scrap value of the aluminum and steel, and other metals. :)

The only thing they would not take is the CRT monitors unless I paid them $10 each - and I had 6 of them. There is a tiny drop of mercury in those vacuum tubes and the EPA procedures to safely pop the tubes (so they don't implode, then explode spewing shards of glass everywhere! :eek:) and recover the mercury cost more than the value of the recyclables. So I took them back home, printed up a "FREE" sign and started lugging them out to the curb. Before I got the third one out there, some guy was loading the first 2 into his truck. I let him lug out the remaining monitors out too. ;)

Now I have nice guest bedroom in the basement. :)

Back