• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Card Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DipStickTony

I searched around and didnt find a fairly close question such as this. I know that older onboard audio tended to be low quality, but ive heard that the CMI8738 is a good chip, its actually what the hercules Muse uses.

Heres what Im conteplating:

Im currently using the onboard sound on my kt-400 board it uses the CMI8738 chip and has a nice little spdif card with all the nice features such as optical out, component out...etc. My speakers are the z560's

I was wondering does this onboard sound card slow my computer down while playing games? The mobo manual says that this is a hardware based sound chip.

I like to play 3d games all setting maxxed including sound with eax.

Would I see any benefit from upgrading to say a santa cruz, or an audigy ? Would i get better performance or better sound quality out of any of these cards ?

I do no audio recording, midi stuff, just games and listening to music

skahtul

Don't change anything. It is hardware driven so that means that it uses it's own audio processor and none of your other resources. You might hear a differance with a new sound card, but it is not worth the cost i think.

nut581

skahtul said:
Don't change anything. It is hardware driven so that means that it uses it's own audio processor and none of your other resources. You might hear a differance with a new sound card, but it is not worth the cost i think.

yup yup ... unless there's a problem w/ your gameplay, keep your $$ .. good to know that I'm not the only one who loves CMI8738 chip :) .. and I use it w/ logitech Z540 .. similar setup, eh? :)

Akumu X

hmm I've never listened to 5.1s (or 4.1s) on an onboard sound system, to me it just seemed natural to get the new Audigy...oh well. I don't regret. You wouldn't either, but what you do with your money is your own business.

does the CMI chip run EAX Advance HD? I'm curious.

skahtul

First off are those z560's digital speakers, if they are and they use the SPDIF out, a new will sound card can make "some" differance but if you will "actually" be able to here it is debatable.

Nut581, I do have that sound chip on one of my boards, and on my other I have an older X-gamer(pre-audigy). The audigy runs my creative 2.1 digital speakers, buy my CMI chips runs my 5.1 500watt KEnwood Receiver with a 450watt 12" kenwood sub, so comparing the sound is hard. Also, Akumu X, i do like the EAX stuff. When I installed the EAX enhancements for Jedi Knight Outcast I could REALLY tell a differance. I am sure no other sound card can run EAX since it is probably proprietary.