• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Dampening Foam's Effectiveness?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cap'n Pedro

I've tried placing the kind of foam used for cushioning PCI cards around my CPU's heatsink, and although it made my CPU temp rise by 8*C I'm cool with it; it does lower noise a small amount. The HS is only rated at 25dB (ish) but I need to make my PC quieter. So, how effective is sound dampening foam on a PC that is already quite quiet? Also, what's it like for reducing HDD clicking sounds and optical drive spinning up sounds?

Also, is there any specific brand I should look for?

Thanks and regards, Pedro

Wrapping insulation around your heatsink? That strikes me as very silly thing to do. Get a heatpipe cooler without any fan.

I'm not exactly a sensible guy. (It was just a test)

I'm afraid heat pipe coolers are out of the question. My custom case it extremely small and there isn't room.

You are suppose to place the dampening foam on the sidepanels of oyur case. It helps elimanate some of the high pitch noises. Helps a bit not not a whole lot.

Put it along the bottom of the case, and on the inside of both panels.

Tyreal said:
You are suppose to place the dampening foam on the sidepanels of oyur case. It helps elimanate some of the high pitch noises. Helps a bit not not a whole lot.

Put it along the bottom of the case, and on the inside of both panels.

Before I plan getting Dampening Foam for my PC, what brand do you recommend getting? I was planning to get this dampening foam from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811998601 ... By the way, my computer is not really noisy, but the high pitch whine from my old 30GB Western Digital that bothers me.

If you're old WD drive is ball bearing, forget it. You'll have to replace it with an FDB drive. Acoustic foam is usually the last step in making a quiet computer.

Shadowknight281 said:
If you're old WD drive is ball bearing, forget it. You'll have to replace it with an FDB drive. Acoustic foam is usually the last step in making a quiet computer.

I have two HDDs.. One's a Seagate 120GB (ST3120026A) and other is a Western Digital 30GB (WD300BB).

Is the Western Digital Drive is a ball-bearing HDD? Im thinking "yes" since it has the "BB" acronym, which stand stands for "Ball Bearing," right? Well, here is a link of WD Specs:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=718&p_created=1037286804

.. and what's a FDB Drive?

FDB: Fluid Dynamic Bearing. Much quieter than the old BB. My recommendation is to turn on your computer with one drive plugged in at a time. If one is relatively quiet and the other sounds like it'll give you a headache and you can hear several rooms over, it's a BB.

Both of them aren't that loud.. it's more of a subtle high pitch whine... so doesthat mean dampening foam would be effective in this case?

Has anybody tried the foam sold for making cars quieter? There's one kind made with steel powder mixed in with the foam for extra dampening of lower frequencies.

Just1nCase: It's going to depend on how noisy the drives are. The good acoustifoam is repudetedly better at dealing with high pitched noise than lower. My experience in using a Acoustifoam is in an already quiet system, using a Samsung Spinpoint, which is almost completely inaudible when decoupled from the case. Were I you, I would post this question on the silentpcreview forums and see if anyone else has used foam with one or both of your drives and if it has made a big difference on drives with high pitch noise.

Shadowknight281 said:
Just1nCase: It's going to depend on how noisy the drives are. The good acoustifoam is repudetedly better at dealing with high pitched noise than lower. My experience in using a Acoustifoam is in an already quiet system, using a Samsung Spinpoint, which is almost completely inaudible when decoupled from the case. Were I you, I would post this question on the silentpcreview forums and see if anyone else has used foam with one or both of your drives and if it has made a big difference on drives with high pitch noise.

Thanks for the advice!.. I'll check that place out.

Back