• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Issues in Mandrake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beelzebub

I installed Mandrake 8.2 on my computer and with KDE I get sound, in Gnome, it is gone. Any ideas what is going on? SBLive MP3er Soundcard.

Naturally I want to use Gnome, so Murphy's Law rears its ugly head.

OP
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

AHA! Found the solution. Just thought I would share what I did with all you fellow Linux users out there with the same problem.

Run the command sndconfig and it automatically detects it and configures the system to work. Just follow the menus.

Now if only I could get my surround sound speakers to work :D

XWRed1

Does Gnome make sounds? Did you turn them on in the Gnome control panel?

OP
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

LOL! Ya, that was the first thing I checked. When trying to preview the system sound in the control panel, nothing would play. I put in a CD with MP3s and it played perfectly (although kind of low volume), and websites with Flash sounds work. Unless there is some option I forgot to enable, I went through the control panel and enabled system sounds but no noise.

Kind of weird, that the sounds work in KDE and not in Gnome on my rig.

XWRed1

Is "Enable Sound Server Startup" checked off under Multimedia -> Sound in the Gnome control panel?

XWRed1

You shouldn't have had to reboot. *Maybe* log out of Gnome and come back again.

OP
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Well, what happened was it wasn't working and I wanted to listen to some tunes, so I rebooted to XP. The next morning I loaded Linux and the sound was there all of a sudden. Not sure how it happened, but I was happy :D