• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound no worky. What to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

virginiamonkeys

Registered
I got my system online about a week ago. I've spent the most of it uploading the XP updates, ATI updates, and whatever I could find.

This is what I have:

Chaintech 9CJS Zenith
2.8GHz 800FSB HTT
2 x 512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR400
RocketRAID 1540 SATA controller card
2 x 7200.7 Seagate Barracuda SATA 160GB
Swiftech watercooled with 2 rads, 13 total fans.
Windows XP Professional
ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder Pro

I downloaded the drivers for the ATI card and it was working fine. I could watch TV and surf the net (with sound). Then something happened where I couldn't hear the sound anymore.

The only thing I can recall is that the system crashed a few times saying the problem started with "atimmc.exe". I was prompted to start in safe mode and this and that.

I tried to remember if I did anything to the settings, but I don't think I did. (But I may have.) I've spent the good part of Saturday trying to detect audio conflicts. My computer just says that there is no soundcard detected. (The 9CJS mobo comes with onboard Envy sound.)

I tried a rollback with Windows to a time 12 hours earlier, but that didn't solve the problem.

I popped the XP CD back in and did the operating system rebuild (without formatting the hard drives). That didn't work.

Tried downloading the Envy drivers from the Chaintech website (might I add... the support on the site SUCKS. No FAQs for my board, no detailed troubleshooting. No step-by-step instructions on installing drivers. They make it so you have to guess what drivers to install. The feedback form on the site doesn't even click anywhere. Sure it clicks... but the form doesn't submit. I'm 100% staying away from Chaintech in the future.) The drivers didn't help.

I checked that the card was in there snug. It is.

This is frustrating me.

What should I do?

Okay, I'm a tard.

I went into BIOS and just enabled the option for onboard PCI sound. It works fine now. Duh!

But the television window crashed again saying there was a problem with the "atimmc.exe". So I turned off the captions. I hope that solves that. Probably won't.

Back