• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic: cannot get it to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
I keep getting this error when trying to install software/drivers:
Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this Setup program.

Setup will exit.

Here is my setup (it's my spare rig):
  • ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE
  • Athlon BE-2400 @ 2.95ghz
  • ASUS 9600GSO 384mb, *EDIT* Upgraded to ASUS HD4850 512MB
  • 36GB Raptor
  • 2GB DDR2, *EDIT* Upgraded to 4GB DDR2
  • Windows XP Pro SP3, *EDIT* Upgraded to Win 7 x64
  • Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (tried 3 different X-Fi cards, all models were 64mb models)

What I've tried:
  • Reseating card
  • 3 different 64mb X-Fi cards
  • Trying a different PCI slot (tried 2)
  • Tried 3 different drivers:
    1. PAX - this here PAX PCI XFI All-OS-Driver V1.35(Driver Only)
    2. XFI_SupportPack_2_0.exe
    3. SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0013.exe (official from creative website)
    4. WinXP Pro 32-bit, Win7 x64
    5. BIOS Update
    6. Clearing CMOS for 2 hours with battery out

I even tried to manually look for the drivers through device manager.
Both the XFi Support Pack and the official Creative driver pack gives me the error noted above (the one that says unable to detect a supported product)

I was able to get the installation to work when I tried the PAX driver pack the SECOND time. When I rebooted, the "multimedia audio controller" still had a yellow exclamation in device manager, but the software (Audio Control Panel) was installed, as well as the creative updater. The creative updater, when I try to run it, says it doesn't detect supported hardware, and the Audio CP software says the same thing.

I haven't been able to get this to work... I've spent a ton of time and am getting nowhere.
Give me links if you know of any other modded creative drivers, or other versions of PAX... I found PAX on google, so not sure if I was in the right spot... I got it from here

Last edited:

Theocnoob

You sure you didn't fry the card? Or maybe someone else did?

Tried it in a different system?

That's pretty weird..

Soundcards rarely give you a hard time installation wise unless they're DOA or something bad happened to them along the way.

I've installed your exact card for a friend using both CD drivers and downloaded drivers twice when he had to reinstall and when we first got it. Took a couple of minutes and no issues every time.

When you put it in a slot and start windows- does it detect new hardware? Does it detect that it's a soundcard? Is the card communicating any kind of ID back to the motherboard of any kind?

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
You sure you didn't fry the card? Or maybe someone else did?

Tried it in a different system?

That's pretty weird..

Soundcards rarely give you a hard time installation wise unless they're DOA or something bad happened to them along the way.

I've installed your exact card for a friend using both CD drivers and downloaded drivers twice when he had to reinstall and when we first got it. Took a couple of minutes and no issues every time.

When you put it in a slot and start windows- does it detect new hardware? Does it detect that it's a soundcard? Is the card communicating any kind of ID back to the motherboard of any kind?

Yes, it's detected by Windows (XP Pro SP3), and it's listed as a multimedia audio device in device manager, but I just can't get it recognized in any way to get sound out of my machine... :(

Doogiehowser

Registered
Steer clear of creative products. Their quality has been steadily going downhill since their rise to popularity. For x-fi, go auzentech. I have the x-fi Forte from them and its absolutely fantastic.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Steer clear of creative products. Their quality has been steadily going downhill since their rise to popularity. For x-fi, go auzentech. I have the x-fi Forte from them and its absolutely fantastic.

This doesn't help my current cause in any way, though. =/

CharlieCS

I had similar issue , what i can suggest is start from the beginning , run driver sweeper delete all creative and on board drivers while booted in safe mode , deleting all associated software is recommended as well , disable onboard sound in bios . And then install the drivers .Also that is an old machine and am not familiar with that hardware at all but look for any setting that might hinder the operation of a PCI slot .

nd4spdbh2

to mister doogie howser, i have never had a problem with creative products... my X-FI xtrememusic is an amazing sound card.

That being said @ op have do you have the original driver CD? Never had a problem with drivers on xp sp3 or win 7 with my XM.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
I had similar issue , what i can suggest is start from the beginning , run driver sweeper delete all creative and on board drivers while booted in safe mode , deleting all associated software is recommended as well , disable onboard sound in bios . And then install the drivers .Also that is an old machine and am not familiar with that hardware at all but look for any setting that might hinder the operation of a PCI slot .

Okay, well here's the thing...
I've disabled the onboard audio, but I couldn't get soundmax to uninstall from add/remove CP... it just won't work, BUT... onboard audio is disabled in BIOS.

I use DriverCleaner Pro... which one is sweeper, and is it free?

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Can it get any worse?
I tried driver sweeper from 2 different places of download, and I tried v2.10 (newest) and v2.05.
The error I get is what you see in the attached image.

In addition, I cannot uninstall soundmax for the onboard audio... still get that error: "The HDA Audio Bus driver is required and not found"

WTH!!!

Attachments

• driversweeper_error.JPG
    driversweeper_error.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,173
Last edited:
OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
I'm giving up. Maybe I'll try the card in another system... I can't take this anymore... gonna just go back to onboard audio. :(

Maxvla

External DAC + HP amp imo. Combo or separates. You don't need much of any amp for your AD700s so a combo is perfectly fine.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
External DAC + HP amp imo. Combo or separates. You don't need much of any amp for your AD700s so a combo is perfectly fine.

This isn't for my main machine with my AD700s... this is my spare rig that I have @ my parents' house. I go to my parents' place @ least once a week and sometimes even stay there some weekends, so I keep a gaming machine there. :)

I'm back on onboard... the headache is gone, for now, lol.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
s'up, try this: Unzip/Unrar the compressed Setup file then go to Setup\Setup folder and double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
s'up, try this: Unzip/Unrar the compressed Setup file then go to Setup\Setup folder and double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Where is that? I don't have the original CD. I'm using the drivers I downloaded that I mentioned in the OP... =/

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
You could always consider dropping $10 on DriverCleaner.net which is basically the current version of DriverCleaner Pro and actually gets updated. I did that like 3 years ago and it's come in handy in a few occasions.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
For software installs, open whichever downloaded file you have in WinRAR and see if WinRAR can uncompress the original downloaded file so that you can then go into the Setup folder manually.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
You could always consider dropping $10 on DriverCleaner.net which is basically the current version of DriverCleaner Pro and actually gets updated. I did that like 3 years ago and it's come in handy in a few occasions.

Do you always get the latest updates forever?

I still can't get my problem fixed.

I was finally able to get soundmax to uninstall correctly. I removed the x-fi card, went back to onboard, installed soundmax... then a few days later when I wanted to try x-fi again, I uninstalled soundmax and THEN disabled it in bios. I guess I couldn't uninstall soundmax the last time b/c I disabled it in bios first.

Regardless, I still can't get this X-Fi XtremeMusic to work!!! :(

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Yes, it updates forever and works with any OS that uses .net framework (in other words, any MS OS starting with XP.) The updates are merely new driver profiles and definitions I think, not really 'program updates.'

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Yes, it updates forever and works with any OS that uses .net framework (in other words, any MS OS starting with XP.) The updates are merely new driver profiles and definitions I think, not really 'program updates.'
Thx for the info, buddy.
Creative has notoriously bad drivers, that might be a problem, check on guru3d, I believe they have modded drivers.

It truly is a waste of my time... I'm extremely aggravated.

I've been on numerous forums, man... and even if there IS a solution, I almost am starting to not care. There are assumptions that the card is shot, though...