• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soyo or other?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

I have a shady feeling about my current motherboard, I think it has issues. I'm thinking about going with the Soyo Dragon+ and buying two wd 40gb.

any suggestions on why this is or isn't a good idea.

I'm open for other motherboards as suggestions, I'd like a nic and raid built in if possible.

also I've heard the sound on the soyo is pretty decent for being built in?

thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions

Revx

my two fav boards right now are the abit kr7a and the shuttle ak35, both are great boards and will handle your needs.

Arctic

ya I agree with RevX... the Abit KR7A and the Shuttle AK35GTR are two greate boards... I have an AK35GTR and I'm very happy with it

mbigna

I've had my Dragon+ for 3 weeks now and I love it! I had no problems whatsoever installing it and WinXP Pro works just fine. I have put in XP 1900+ , a stick of Mushkin 512MB PC2100 CAS2 memory and two IBM 60GXB 40GB drives [RAID 0] with a Visiontek GF3Ti200.

After I got the O/S installed and most of the latest drivers installed, I went back into the BIOS and turned on the "Turbo" settings which seemed to speed the already fast boot-up just a tad.

There is a mod available for upgrading the Promise Fasttrack Lite RAID controller from the 'Lite' to the Full version of the Fasttrack controller. The upgrade will allow you to change your RAID parameters for better optimization. I haven't done it yet (but I will), but you can read about it here.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56180

I bought my stuff (except the Video Card which I got at Best Buy for $99 on Black Friday) from Newegg. My board came installed with the latest BIOS revision (2BA2). The new revision solves most problems for Dragon+ users.

Another source of angst among Dragon+ users is PSU's. I got an Antec PP412X 400W PSU with mine. The Dragon+ needs a fair amount of juice because of all the on-board peripherals. Getting a good PSU is good advice when assembling any machine, anyway.

Third--many Dragon+ users put in a SOUND CARD. Why they do this continues to amaze me. The on-board CMI Dolby 5.1 sounds great. After all, we PAID EXTRA for this, right? But there are many Dragon+ users that slap in an Audigy anyway. And even for the few who DO remember to disable the on-board sound, they still report troubles with the sound card.

Other than that, the manual is very comprehensive, and you can go to www.soyousa.com to download the 200 page .PDF version of the manual so you can read it ahead of time (I did).

As far as overclocking goes, everything is programmable from the BIOS. The only shortcoming of this board (that I can find) is the lack of vDimm (memory voltage) adjustment.

Let us know what you end up with!

Lou Natic

The lack of real voltage adjustments is the one thing that keeps this board from being one of the best out there. Don't get me wrong, I like mine. It does what I need it to without any problems. The one thing that sucks is that I can't get much higher than 140FSB no matter what I do. I've got the memory (Corsair 2400 XMS), just ain't got enough juice.

If you're looking for a good mb to build a system that you have no intentions of overclocking, you can't go wrong with a Dragon +. It has enough bells & whistles to keep most people happy. If you want a solid overclocker, go with Epox or a similar board with flexable voltage adjustments.

OP
T

TimDgsr

thanks for the replies, I didn't have any time this past weekend to check in.

yeah i was planning on using a RAID striping setup(not sure which number that would be, 0?)

I'll look into the abit and the shuttle boards, both seem to have what I'm looking for.