• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soyo tisu with Intel 815ep chipset, - at which fsb is the pci divider changing ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John Knuhtsen

Registered
Hi

I have just got this motherboard up running with a celeron tualatin 1300 at 1.675 volt and with a silent storm cooler at 2800 rpm.

This is very successful since it runs 13x133=1733 at a temperature of 43 C (in my basement). It is also able to boot with 13x140=1820, but then there seems to be some problems with restarting.

So these 1733 MHz seems to be quite usable.

If I go below fsb 133, I suppose divider changes to 1/3. Unlike many other chipsets keeping the 1/4 divider down to fsb 124.

How is it ?

Will situation change if I set the bsel0 and bsel1 to 1 (so that the motherboard thinks it is a fsb133 cpu) ?

best regards and thanks

John

OP
J

John Knuhtsen

Registered
Hi

I have now analyzed it in the real way. Using a trident pci graphics card that I assume is a bad overclocker I have tried fsb 124, and 132 as well. At fsb 132 the pci speed could be 42 Mhz and at these 132 MHz fsb graphics worked allright. I then tried with harddisks connected and saw no problems.
So I assume now that pci divider is changed to 1/4 by fsb 124 MHz.

I should say that fsb 133 is not stable enough, and improved fan speed (5600 rpm with silent storm) does not help. So now I run fsb 125, 1625 MHz, and it can take 100 % cpu load in 10 minutes.
Cpu voltage is 1.675 volt in bios, but sisoft sandra says 1.63 volt.

This is quite a nice computer but standby mode does not work. It cannot restart.

The graphics card used is now a radeon ve with 64 Mbyte ram. Harddisk is a maxtor 9 80 Gbyte fluid with 8 Mbyte cache.

By 1625 Mhz it is close to 5000 Mips.

best regards

John

mailman

Here's the deal with a TISU. The PCI clock and
FSB clock work independently. So when you change the FSB clock, the PCI clock doesn't change.

Also, if you want to run at FSB of 133Mhz, you have to cut the BSEL1 Pin in order for it to recognize the Celeron as a 133mhz FSB part after
powering down or going into standby.

If your system is not stable *DON'T* cut the pin.
You will just have to run at 100Mhz FSB.

My Soyo TISU with a Tualatin Celeron 1.0A (Bsel 1 Pin CUT) runs at 1.33Ghz 133Mhz FSB CAS2.

The BIOS doesn't appear to save the FSB settings
after a powerdown for some reason. I think you will just have to run at 100Mhz FSB unless someone else knows different.

Also, is that Celeron a SL5 or SL6 part? If SL6,
where did you buy it ?

Regards,
Mailman

Finken

Info on SY-TISU

Hi, I'm getting a SOYO TISU in a few weeks and I have some questions...

Actually, I only have on now :)

What kind of BIOS does it have? I wanted to prepare a BIOS to flash it with when I get it (with a cool logo). But I need to know what kind of BIOS it uses...

[edit]

I don't remember what aditional information I need (else then that it's award)
Because I don't know what to ask for I'll try to make it a little easier :)

Does it use the same kind of BIOS as the ASUS A7V(-xxx) do?

Last edited:

mailman

It's Award BIOS. Here's the only thing I could copy:

BIOS Vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS Version: 6.00 PG
BIOS Release Date: 10/05/2001
BIOS Properties: Plug and Play,

I don't know if it supports the Logo option,
but there is something in the BIOS screen
about a "EPA Logo Select" Logo 1 or Logo 2.

(I have the TISU2AA2.BIN BIOS Revision)

Good Luck with your TISU.

:cool:

OP
J

John Knuhtsen

Registered
Hi

The cpu is a sl5zj.

You are probably right with the bsel0 and 1 codes. I know the codes. The can be important to restart from standby, but else I have not seen their importance with the tisu board.

But anyway, I have checked with cpu-id that fsb is 125 when set to fsb 125 in bios.

So it runs 1625 MHz and yields much faster benchmarks too.
I have tested with wintune98 and also sandra 2003.

I have tested this chip on abit vh6t (via 694t chipset), but there it will not go fsb 124 at 1.675 volt. Noth either on a cubx (modified), so I must admit that this soyo board does something unique.

Further the bios says that ram go 100 MHz at fsb 125 MHz. I doubt that, since I have seen that ram benchmarks are proportional to expected fsb.

best regards

John

Ein

Registered
I'm sorry, but where is the Bsel 1 pin? I just got a tisu, and my 1.2 seems okay at 12x133 after some Prime95 testing so I want to look into disabling the bsel 1 pin. I probably will just insulate it instead of cutting it but I can't find a picture of the pin...

old silicon

After removing or insulating the BSEL1 pin to fool the TISU into thinking it has a PIII, does the board keep all of the other settings such as vcore and memory timings or does it reset them to default after a shutdown?
I am having the same issues with my board and a 1.1a. On a cold boot it dumps my seettings in favor of the defaults. With 512mb cas2 Crucial at fastest timings my chip will run 133fsb at default vcore, up to 140fsb at 1.5v and 142fsb at 1.6v. 142 seems to be the limit, adding more voltage doesn't allow me to go any higher with stability. I'd be happy if I could just set it at 137fsb for 1.5ghz @ 1.49vcore and forget about it. It will run at these settings 24/7 perfectly stable and 43 deg C.

mailman

After I cut the Bsel1 pin, I can now cold boot after a power OFF at
133Mhz FSB on my 1.0A and it saves Vcore and CAS2 memory timings
on my 512mb cas2 crucial memory(128,128,256 sticks)OK . The BIOS
screen 'recommends' cas3 on bootup, but I haven't had any problems
running cas2.

I have cold booted at 137Mhz FSB, so I think you should be OK. Also,
read the article at anandtech.com about the TISU. I think they used a P3 with 133Mhz FSB. They never mentioned this issue because I think that was a 133Mhz FSB CPU. I think the TISU was not really designed to
overclock a '100Mhz FSB' CPU above 133Mhz FSB.

Some of my settings for my 1.0A running at 1.33Ghz:
First I set Load Optimized defaults.
CPU Vcore 1.575v.
System performance MAX.
Power Management/ACPI Suspend type S3(STR).
Integrated Perips/Power on func Keyboard98.

For others that may read this:
*DON'T* cut the Bsel1 pin unless you have tested stability
at least 133Mhz FSB. If you ever get a lockup while testing
overclocking on bootup, power off the switch on the power supply,
remove the power cord, jumper the 'clear CMOS' to clear BIOS for
about 10 seconds,reset jumper, and it should boot back to defaults.

Other than this BIOS saving issue, this has been a great mobo.
Too bad Intel won't lower the prices on the 1.4g P3.
:mad:

Best Wishes All.

old silicon

I'm going to try insulating the pin tomorrow with a small piece of wire insulation(if it will still fit into the ZIF socket that is). If that doesn't work I'll try painting it with nail polish. I'll save breaking it off as a last resort. It's irritating having to enter my settings every time.
I also get the "Suggested cas latancy=3" message but have had no trouble running it up to 142fsb at maximun settings. I feel my CPU and not the RAM is my limiting factor, hey 1500+mhz from a $40 chip is pretty good anyway. The retail HSF seems to be pretty good, I lapped it to a mirror finish and slathered on some Radio Shack brand thermal grease and I've never seen the temp above 43deg C. I wish the 512k cache PIII's were cheaper too, I'd like to try a 1.2 Tualatin PIII in it.
Another minor issue I have with the board is undervolting, a setting of 1.525v in the BIOS only gives 1.49v according to both the BIOS PC health and the "Smart Guardian" mobo monitor. Default setting delivers only 1.43v. Not a big deal though, as my 1.1a Celery will run up to 133fsb at the default voltage.

old silicon

Painting the BSEL1 pin with nail polish did the trick. The TISU now thinks it has a 133FSB chip(althogh it still recognizes it as a Celeron). BIOS now keeps all my settings FSB, vcore, memory timings, etc. intact after a shut down.
I quess it would be too much to ask for Soyo to just release a " Celeron friendly " BIOS, so you wouldn't have mess around. Oh well, just a quirk with an easy work around.

Thanks

Flank-speed

mailman said:
Here's the deal with a TISU. The PCI clock and FSB clock work independently. So when you change the FSB clock, the PCI clock doesn't change. {deleted}

Regards,
Mailman

Has anyone figured out how the TISU handles the divider for the AGP bus when increasing FSB over 100Mhz?

I'm working with a TISU with both 1.2Ghz and 1.3Mhz Tualatin Celerons (Swiftech MCXC-370 +YStech 40cfm fan). Above about 118FSB my GF2 card stops handling DirectX 3D graphics though I've been to 124FSB with everything else stable. I figure the AGP bus is running above spec. Wish Soyo had added AGP & PCI bus divisor settings in bios - the it would be perfect. Using 2x128Mb Crucial PC133 CL2 Dimms at the moment. Working on a couple of ways to insulate the Bsel 1 Pin that is showing promise. Target: 133FSB.

Last edited: