• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spam texts and calls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Good grief, I get like 6 spam texts and 3-4 spam calls a day on my cellular. The default text app(Android) recognizes many as definite spam, but so many more come through.

What is the solution? Is there one? Get off the 'net? Maybe just use:

tin-can.jpg

I get em all the time. I do not know a way to stop them either.
Most are wanting to sell me extended warranty on cars I do not even own.

Also getting what I believe would qualify as "phishing" or social engineering emails, that try to entice you to follow links to who-knows-where. Like "Your Amazon account was used to buy a 250$ blah-blah-blah" :rolleyes:

For me the best defense is to not answer any unknown numbers. They use spoofing to come from your zipcode or one near by. When you answer the phone, then the robo-dialer knows its a real number and will start sending the actual spam recordings. The first one you get is usually just static or beeping tones to keep the call connected. If you stop for a while it should decrease, I still get quite a few though, but it's much worse for a few weeks if I accidentally answer one.

For me the best defense is to not answer any unknown numbers. They use spoofing to come from your zipcode or one near by. When you answer the phone, then the robo-dialer knows its a real number and will start sending the actual spam recordings. The first one you get is usually just static or beeping tones to keep the call connected. If you stop for a while it should decrease, I still get quite a few though, but it's much worse for a few weeks if I accidentally answer one.

I remind my wife not to answer, only verifies that the # is legit. Myself, I don't ever answer calls, even if they are legitimate. Yea, I'm that guy. :rofl:

If it's a real caller, hold the phone up to the smoke alarm and press the button.

Back