• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sparkle 300 watt psu. This thing has some unbelievable specs!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I just picked up the Sparkle 300 watt psu from Newegg for $33 shipped to my door. Now the specs on this thing are better than 90% of the 400's and most of the 500 watt psu's that I have been shopping. 3.3V@28a; 5V@30a; 12V@15a. These seem like some pretty good #'s to me. Tell me if there is something that I am missing here? These are definately better #'s than the 300 watt psu that I am running now, and it looks to me that it should run the XP1600 rig that I am building right now.

i just got 2 250wt ones paralleled.i even ran my rig off just one for a few days.yeh they live upto thier reputation!

Yeah, I guess that Sparkle is the real deal from what I have been reading. I have been researching psu's for about a month now and about the only bad thing that i have ever seem about a Sparkle psu is that some people claim that some of the models are a bit noisey. But what do I care, I have fans galore cooling my rigs anyhow.

Loved my Sparkle 300 so much, I bought their 400 watter for my newest rig. My old computer has raid, t-bird and every pci slot full, and has no problems, but my new one will run 8 raid drives, so I wanted more power still (just in case).

The 300 had a noisy fan in it, so I modded in a rheostat for it. The 400 has a pwm fan speed controller, and it's whisper quiet.

Love 'em, won't buy any other.

Yeah, the sparkle 300W model FSP-300-60BTV and the Forton model FSP-300-60ATV are stout supplies, making nearly 400W in reality. They are very affordable and the only 300W supplies I recommend for overclockers. Most other 300W models just don't deliver like these babies, and can be problematic with a large load. A powerman branded version is available in the InWin cases that have 300W supplies, making them a top value in a moderately priced case.

The 300W FSP version is available from directron for $27. They also have the hoss 350W model for only $38. This beasty makes 450W in reality and is an even better deal. But even the cheapest 250W model is still a great supply, with 175W 3.3+5V output. The 200W 3.3+5V of the 300W model surpasses competing 300W units, and the 220W of the 350 equals that of the 431W enermax. Very conservative total wattage ratings on the sparkle/FSP's mean they compete with (numerically) larger supplies on equal terms. And even if you are building just one and want the best, these units perform at a level that merits serious consideration while at the same time leaving spare cash for that inevitable hard drive/motherboard/cpu/memory/video card upgrade that we all crave more often than can be admitted in polite company.

As an added note, I have used hundreds of these supplies in the last 4 years, and have seen impressive durabililty and reliability from them as compared to even the most expensive units. The supplies truly rock, and at the price point they are available at it makes no sense to have generic supplies in any machine you care about. And if you are a system builder like I am, the quality and value they represent gives your machine a great foundation in terms of quality at the same time it minimizes the possiblilty that you will have a mess to clean up down the road.

As noted above some FSP produced supplies may have a noisy fan in them. These are high quality NMB fans, and they move a lot of air in exhange. Fortunately they use standard 80mm fans as well as have no warranty stickers to prevent you from installing the fan you like best. I fitted a .15A fan in place of the .30A version in my 350 and enjoy the silence. Since the supply is just loafing even powering my big P4 rig the lighter duty fan is still very effective. If I were to RMA one of these supplies (something I've never had to do, knock on wood) I would put the original back in.

Are the inwin's powerman PSUs fsp/sparkle? I am running a 300w in my Q500 and it needs a bit more power right now. I just ordered the 400w from newegg.

advanR said:
Are the inwin's powerman PSUs fsp/sparkle? I am running a 300w in my Q500 and it needs a bit more power right now. I just ordered the 400w from newegg.

No I think they are not.

I can also add to the Fortron Source quality. I have a 235W unit in an older PC and it's a quality PS, and silent too. I think it does carry the NMB fan, but a low RPM one.

larva, thank you very much for the info. You are one of the people with posts that I always try to read. Your posts always seem very educated and you always sound like you know exactly what you are talking about. It sounds like you work in a computer shop, or are a tech for a large company? I am building an XP1600 comp, with a 30-40 gig hd, with a dvd drive, a cd-rw drive and 1 120mm fan, 3 80mm fans (one being on my hsf). From what I have read this Sparkle 300 watt psu should do the job very well, but what is your opinion on it? Also, is my assumption correct that hdd's are probably the biggest pig to a psu when they are running?

TUK101 said:
I am building an XP1600 comp, with a 30-40 gig hd, with a dvd drive, a cd-rw drive and 1 120mm fan, 3 80mm fans (one being on my hsf). From what I have read this Sparkle 300 watt psu should do the job very well, but what is your opinion on it? Also, is my assumption correct that hdd's are probably the biggest pig to a psu when they are running?

You'll be fine with the 300W sparkle, I'm sure. It or the 350W model are as much as I ever use. There aren't any cases I've run into with normal PC configurations that overwhelm these supplies in practice. People needing to power cooling devices beyond fans may need more output but the basic mb/cpu/video card assembly and the drives plus all the fans you can hook up a the machine will run fine on a 300W sparkle in 95% of all cases.

I have worked for PC stores for about 10 years and do product selection and ordering in addition to building new PC's and (theses days) repair and upgrades as well. In the past I did new machine construction exclusively but now work for a smaller store where new machine production isn't as big a priority. I still build quite a few, but not the huge numbers I used to (1500/year).

As far as the power supply in the inwin, I invoke the following:
11-108-148-08.JPG

This is the Inwin 508 case shot that comes with a 300W. These are stout supplies, but I do use the 350W model for $42 in the biggest machines. The 400 and even 460W models are only 65-80 type money so If you want really serious brawn it is affordable..

Last edited:
larva said:

You'll be fine with the 300W sparkle, I'm sure. It or the 350W model are as much as I ever use. There aren't any cases I've run into with normal PC configurations that overwhelm these supplies in practice. People needing to power cooling devices beyond fans may need more output but the basic mb/cpu/video card assembly and the drives plus all the fans you can hook up a the machine will run fine on a 300W sparkle in 95% of all cases.

I have worked for PC stores for about 10 years and do product selection and ordering in addition to building new PC's and (theses days) repair and upgrades as well. In the past I did new machine construction exclusively but now work for a smaller store where new machine production isn't as big a priority. I still build quite a few, but not the huge numbers I used to (1500/year).

As far as the power supply in the inwin, I invoke the following:
11-108-148-08.JPG

This is the Inwin 508 case shot that comes with a 300W. These are stout supplies, but I do use the 350W model for $42 in the biggest machines. The 400 and even 460W models are only 65-80 type money so If you want really serious brawn it is affordable..

Do you know whether all InWin cases come with FS power supplies these days? I replaced a PS in a midtower inwin (Q500 i think) a while back and it was no FS... this was a while back though.

I don't think it's safe to assume anything on the OEM supply situation. I've never seen the J508 Inwin with any other supply than this one, but I'd always check on the exact supply if I where to buy a case with one. I take it as a great stroke of luck when a case comes fitted with as good a supply as the above FSP unit, I probabaly woudn't buy this particular case if it had something else. I'm sure at some point there have been Inwin's with different supplies, if all Inwin's carry as solid as a supply as this at present it would be impressive.

I have been debating on buying a Sparkle PS to replace my old 235W I have in one of my pc's. I'm headed over to Newegg right now. :D

larva said:
Yeah, the sparkle 300W model FSP-300-60BTV and the Forton model FSP-300-60ATV are stout supplies, making nearly 400W in reality. They are very affordable and the only 300W supplies I recommend for overclockers.

And you don't mod it to get that 400w? Cause if so, then i'm definately getting it.

The FSP-300 watt supply tested at THG made 390W total output, the FSP-350 watt model made 450W in the same test. The 350W is available from directron for a mere $38, it is the best value.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/powersupplies-15.html

http://www.directron.com/fsp35060bn.html

It's the supply I recommend most for overclockers, the 300W model is much better than it has any right to be for the money but is not that much cheaper.

http://www.directron.com/fsp30060atv.html

It's still a get what you pay for sort of deal, except that both models exhibit extremely high output and quality for a supply costing even twice as much. Personally, I use the 350.

I got my Sparkle 300 watt today. I am still taken back by how fast that Newegg is able to get my orders to me. This psu keeps my comp at more stabile specs than my older 300 watt did, but I am still a bit low on my 5V and 12V. 3.3V on the 3.3, 4.92 and up on the 5V, and 11.98+ on the 12V Now these dont fluctuate as much with this psu as they did with my old psu. The funny thing is that I tried my old psu on the ECS K7S5A mobo that I just recieved, and dropped an XP1600 on it and it had all of the specs higher than expected. 3.34 on the 3.3, 5.05 on the 5, and 12.12 on the 12. So this tells me that this Abit ST-6 is a pig lol.

one thing also tuk.ive read this lower voltge reeadings are a software problem most likly.
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/PCPC475_1.html
happened in that artical also.mbm5 was reporting it low as they say its how the mobo is distribting the voltage. but when they put a voltage meter on the lines it really was giving the true 5v and 12v lines which were at spec.

ive been watching my dualy set up and its reading 4.84-4.81 fluctuations.not much and thats all i get.BUT im not gonna adjust the pot as i think also this is the mobo reporting it this way.

if was to really think it wasnt above 5v id be in there with a multi meter and a screw driver fixing it.

Esay to switch out the fans?

As noted above some FSP produced supplies may have a noisy fan in them. These are high quality NMB fans, and they move a lot of air in exhange. Fortunately they use standard 80mm fans as well as have no warranty stickers to prevent you from installing the fan you like best. I fitted a .15A fan in place of the .30A version in my 350 and enjoy the silence.

Hey Larva,
Do the Fortron power supply fans come with 2 pin adapters that plug into the supply or are they soldered directly to the supply? It would be nice to switch out a noisy fan just by unlugging the fan and plugging in a new one.

Re: Esay to switch out the fans?

Redstone said:

Hey Larva,
Do the Fortron power supply fans come with 2 pin adapters that plug into the supply or are they soldered directly to the supply? It would be nice to switch out a noisy fan just by unlugging the fan and plugging in a new one.

To be honest I didn't even look. The fans I have don't have connectors on them anyway, so I proceeded straight to the soldering iron. I use a Weller 25W professional grade iron with a fine tip, it has paid for itself so many times over I can't imagine doing without it. Even when the header exists, there have been very few times I have been able to match a fan with it, and I have changed a lot of fans.

Back