• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speakers right next to monitor....is that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tweekerr

Registered
I was just curious if having two speakers on either side of the monitor will damage them or anything? They are "shielded", or so the box says...Logitech Z-340s. Just wanted to know because I had been using cheap headphones for awhile and finally shelled out $30 for some speakers, and my desk is pretty much completely flat. The satellites would be less than an inch from the sides of the monitor.

Monaco

Yes, it can be bad. Even shielded speakers can damage a monitor- some of them just have a bit of iron stuck to the speakers for 'shielding' and it really doesn't do much.

What you do is wave your speakers around all over near your monitor, and watch the screen- if the screen changes at all, in any way, keep them speakers far away.

Tweekerr

Registered
Monster of Rock said:
Yes, it can be bad. Even shielded speakers can damage a monitor- some of them just have a bit of iron stuck to the speakers for 'shielding' and it really doesn't do much.

What you do is wave your speakers around all over near your monitor, and watch the screen- if the screen changes at all, in any way, keep them speakers far away.

Speakers....damage...monitor? I thought it was the other way around...anyway, before I read this post I "borrowed" my bro's Inspire 2.1's and set them next to the monitor and played an mp3 over them....no change in the monitor at all. So does that mean the Logitech Z-340's will be ok too?

Maxvla

you will be able to tell a difference immediately speakers on or off, playing or not. its the magnetism from the speaker drivers that cause the interference and the discoloration and if prolonged... damage.

almost all multimedia speakers are pretty safe since the manufacturers know most of the speakers are going to be sitting right next to both sides of the monitor. i've got my labtec's hugging my philips monitor with no problems.

if you want to see what happens if they aren't "shielded" find an old speaker or just a magnet will do.. put it up next to your TV for a few seconds and watch the color blossom. take it away very quickly... it will hover for a while but brief exposure won't damage it.

Monaco

So does that mean the Logitech Z-340's will be ok too?

Well, they should be. The magnet in a speaker is strong enough to screw with the electron gun in a monitor- wave a magnet near a monitor and watch what happens, it's pretty cool lookin :D :D. Luckily they include a Degause button on most monitors, which de-magnetizes the shadow mask in the monitor and fixes most minor magnet damage.

But if you keep speakers right near your screen, even some shielded speakers, they may very slowly affect your screen- so slowly (months) you don't even notice it, until one day you realize that your white background is actually tinged purple- and the Degauss button won't fix it. I've seen it happen.

But you should probably be just fine. Logitech makes a good speaker, they know their stuff. All I'm saying, is watch the screen when your speakers are near it to be sure they do not affect it at all. Even a small effect can become permanent over time.

Superman

ive done that with a tv i put a speaker on top of it with out realising it and my tv turned green and i was like oh sh!t and i threw the speaker off my tv and the normal color came back.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
it's mostly based on the quality of the speakers. My Klipsch 5.1 system has 3 speakers right next to my monitor........yet I have some generic speakers that can not be within a foot of my monitor as they will discolor the monitor (and as mentioned above) eventually permanently damage my monitor.

the "degauss" feature of computer monitors will clear up temporary distortions, and if you don't see any discoloration, you're probably fine.

Mobile

Any recently purchased set of computer speakers will have no problem sitting next to your monitor. They are desgined for that purpose; you should not worry about doing damage to your monitor by having your computer speakers sitting next to it.

Mobile

It should be on the floor regardless.....You will get horrible performance with it if you stick it on your desk.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
I have the speakers that are supposed to be attached to the side of your monitor. Ive had them for like five years now. They are great speakers (i nabbed them off my 233 p1 Packard Bell five years ago). :D

-Wes

Maxvla

Mobile20 said:
It should be on the floor regardless.....You will get horrible performance with it if you stick it on your desk.

ive got mine sitting on my desk.. but my desk is in the corner of the room so its all good.

Roof Jumper

ok, about your original question on whether or not the monitor would affect the speakers,it will not. the EMI shielding on monitors is to keep the EMI's in the monitor from affecting things like speakers.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
I assume most older monitors do not have the EMI shielding since alot of people seem to have problems with the speakers next to monitor... ;)

-Wes