• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Splash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico3k

so i turned off my computer to refill my res.
i took some of my distilled water and put it in a waterbottle. i started pooring the res until it was nice and full. i tried to stop filling it, but some metal piece got stuck, so it overfilled the res and water went all over the place. there is water on the motherboard and everywhere.
right now i dried off all the drops i could see with toilet paper and i have a 25" fan blowing at the computer.

whats the best thing to do? taking the motherboard out of the case would mean disassembling the whole watercooling system.

thanks for any suggestions

SLO_N8

I accidentally filled my case the other week, while running...got it on the MB as well. I used some towels & a hair dryer for about 30 mins till I saw no water...all is well :)

OP
Nico3k

Nico3k

bah... Nico3k prays

while running?... umm nothing got fried?

Ottoman

i've had water drip on my 8500DV when itwas still new, comp was running, turned it off, dried it and it still works to this day

SLO_N8

I knocked my return hose right out of my res man, lol. That res emptied in no time, and it was all over the bottom of my motherboard. I even had time to shut the PC down normally, it didn't shut off itself. I also had a spare hard drive layin upside down in the bottom of the case unused...well I plugged it in yesterday, still works like a charm as well....and it had to have been FULL of water. Makes me think water is not as conductive as most ppl think...i dunno...was using tap water BTW.

OP
Nico3k

Nico3k

ahh thank so much for that relaxing post SLO_N8... i appreciate it :D

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
oh its not just rezes, iv spilled many lots of water on my computer lots of tiems :beer: ;)

its not a big deal, just dry it off, let it ALL evaporate then go rite at it normally

ziah

i put an ice cube on my heatsink for fun once! messy but no shorting. lots of plastic wrap and duct tape.

im ghetto.

~z

wildfrogman

was it a dry ice cube? heheh, I think water gets more conductive when there is alot of dust in it. Like if your case is really dusty then it would be really bad. I am thinking of getting some conformal spray and coating most everything and putting tiny heatsinks on the mobo where it gets a bit warm.

Toysrme

Basic science guys it's been discussed thousands of times. PURE water, nothing but H2O, is NOT conductive. What makes water conductive are the impurities in it. Which is why we all spend $0.25 a gallon to get distilled water. It aint pure, but it's better than tap!