• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Split Power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spdtuner300

Registered
I have a 200W PSU and im thinkin if adding a thrid hd to my case... becasue this is "cases and power supplies" ::looks around room for approval:: i am thinking of splitting a power supply line from one hd to TWO hd's.... would this screw things up?
also... where would i mount this thrid hard drive... i only have 2 hd slots... do you think gateway is tryin to tell me something??

Do you only have 1 IDE connection? If you have two, like almost all systems, you can run a Y splitter on the power cable, and place the third HD on the second IDE cable with your CDROM. To mount it, you may have to get a 5.25 inch mounting kit and place it in an open 5.25" drive bay. I'd agree, though, that you are stretching the limilt with a 200w PSU.
Gateway is telling you "Never buy another one."

i DO have 2 ide lines

You are correct about the message sent from gateway (im planing to build my own computer from scratch [not too hard]) and ive tried hookin up that third hd to where the second cd/dvd (w/e) would connect to, and it screwed it all up... i think my board has NO idea on how do deal with that kind of configuration...the board i have now is an old intel board, no agp, runnin a 1.1 (overclocked to 1.4) and sdram... @ the time this was TOP OF THE LINE .... from gateway lol, may be why it was considered "TOP OF THE LINE"

That may be just a case of correctly configuring the jumpers. Even on a Gateway you should be able to add the third drive that way.

This is still spdtuner300, just a diff name.... got new ISP... and no, it didnt work... thanks anyways tho

for adding another hard drive mounting place, you can either buy small 'L' brackets and mount it on the floor of the case or, in the same section at the hardware store you can get some straight brackets that just have holes in them; buy 4 and you can hang a drive below an existing one.

-Peter

Back