• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD install, ahci question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DisscoStu

Registered
Fresh win8.1 install on my new 850 evo, everything worked fine, when I opened the samsung magician software, i noticed AHCI mode is deactivated, and the 2nd tab "SATA interface" says N/A.

I tried changing to ahci in bios, but it quick closed, won't load, it only works on the setting for both ahci/ide, which was default, so I left it there.

Question is, is there a fix for this? I heard if I do it in the registry it will work. right now it seems like everything is working fine, but if there is a more stable/faster setting, certainly want that

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Yep a registry fix should do the trick. I'm mobile or I'd link for you but Google switch from ide to ahci.

OP
D

DisscoStu

Registered
PS....holy *#$%, no benchmarks or articles read about a good SSD upgrade do it justice. I had a first gen hybrid long ago, first good SSD, nothing else like this for possible under $100, just so snappy, wowzer

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
PS....holy *#$%, no benchmarks or articles read about a good SSD upgrade do it justice. I had a first gen hybrid long ago, first good SSD, nothing else like this for possible under $100, just so snappy, wowzer

Dissco,

See if you can put your hardware in a signature?

I just assembled a new build and knew ACHI was a requirement but my Asrock BIOS
was set to ACHI by default so I didn't have to make that setting. And a big applause
from here too for the SSD drives. This Samsung EVO was first on my list for new
hardware but I didn't think they would be THIS FAST until I was "hands on" with
one of them. The Samsung software tests show what is expected and what a difference
booting into Win10 or rebooting for BIOS overclock attempts.

HankB

I've been singing the praises since I put my first SSD in my old Thinkpad T500. That one didn't even support the faster SATA speeds but still breathed new life into that machine. Higher throughput is only part of the store. A huge benefit is reduced latency from a truly random device. One sector on the SSD is as quickly available (virtually) as any other. No waiting for the read/write head to move from track to track or for the desired sector to rotate under under the head.

Now I'm learning about the difference between Crucial vs. Samsung for some applications (and it turns out the answer is Samsung, which will surprise no one here.)

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I just assembled a new build and knew ACHI was a requirement but my Asrock BIOS
was set to ACHI by default so I didn't have to make that setting. And a big applause
from here too for the SSD drives. This Samsung EVO was first on my list for new
hardware but I didn't think they would be THIS FAST until I was "hands on" with
one of them. The Samsung software tests show what is expected and what a difference
booting into Win10 or rebooting for BIOS overclock attempts.
RT I can't believe you've lived without one for this long. They really are awesome. I'm looking forward to when the 1tb drives come down in price so I can replace my secondary drives with one.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
RT I can't believe you've lived without one for this long. They really are awesome. I'm looking forward to when the 1tb drives come down in price so I can replace my secondary drives with one.

I knew I was going to build new but I just didn't know when so I wanted to
wait and do it all at once. I got some good advice from ATM and followed it.
The prices are very economical for them now and I too am contemplating
replacing other drives with them. Caught this Samsung EVO 256GB sale for
$74 + tax. There is just no reason not to buy an SSD for a new build today.

I boot into Windows 10 Pro desktop in ~8 seconds, I couldn't
believe it!

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I even use them for my benching drives now, if I need to re image the Os it takes no time at all to do so. The Sammy Evos are great drives and at around $80 for a 250 gb drive hard to beat. Arguably the best upgrade for any pc!

wingman99

I even use them for my benching drives now, if I need to re image the Os it takes no time at all to do so. The Sammy Evos are great drives and at around $80 for a 250 gb drive hard to beat. Arguably the best upgrade for any pc!

LOL Unless you have 775 dual core, windows 10 64bit, 4GB memory, SATA 2. My family and I did not see a bit of improvement going from Raptor 150 to 840 EVO, so surfing the internet on that PC is way to slow.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
/shrug my wife saw a huge improvement on her E8400 machine that I built years ago when I added the SSD instead of her spinner. Boot times were significantly faster as were program loads/etc.

wingman99

Yes boot times are faster by 10 seconds however it only gets booted rarely because of sleep mode. Ever since I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 that PC struggles on the internet. I tried more memory even though I looked at the usage for one page on the internet was 1.3GB total usage and even tried a dedicated video card no joy, last thing was the SSD because the raptor died, the only other thing I noticed with the SSD is when clicking on the installed programs menu it goes much faster and that is cool to see because before I had the SSD I opened all the options in windows 10 to see how fast they open and only found a few that opened from the hard drive and not memory.

One thing I'm going to miss is trouble shooting with a HDD is the noise of the Raptor I could here every bit of data being transferred or Quiet.

On a note from this post I cant believe the GA-EG31M-S2 has no AHCI.