• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
Wow, look at the prices the online retailers are charging for SSd's right now. That is crazy, you would think prices would come down. Even the junk Jmicron based drives are mostly over 200 for 64gb. Once Intel gets thier prices down to the claimed 225 I think I will get 2 of those from Microcenter. Really annoyed at newegg for the price goughing.

OK rant over.

I'm just gonna be cheap and wait until they are about 15 cents a gig, even if it take 10 years, but I agree with you. They are ridiculously expensive.

i've determined that newegg might be the worst place possible to buy an ssd.

it seems like the random odd sources seem to have better deals most of the time. about a month ago Macmall.com had the 80gb G2 intel drive for $225 and before than toshiba direct had it for $215.

you just have to keep looking around and check slickdeals.net to find the deals.

coincidentally, it looks like the egg will have the 40gb kingston drive (semi-crippled version of intel 80gb drive) for $85-90 on wednesday morning.

i've determined that newegg might be the worst place possible to buy an ssd.

Can't have the best prices on every single thing all the time.
When i got my SSD, it was easily the cheapest price for an indilinx-based drive.
2 weeks later, they put the OCZ Summit 60GB at the lowest price i'd ever seen (believe it was $129 USD, it was $139 CAN w/free ship).
It's always about shopping around.

Can't have the best prices on every single thing all the time.
When i got my SSD, it was easily the cheapest price for an indilinx-based drive.
2 weeks later, they put the OCZ Summit 60GB at the lowest price i'd ever seen (believe it was $129 USD, it was $139 CAN w/free ship).
It's always about shopping around.

my statement was a little broad. i didnt mean that newegg wont ever have the best price on a single item on a given day but if you're browsing for an ssd in general neweggs prices are higher than most other retailers. sometimes we just need to buy a computer part today and in that case your probably not going to get a good price if you turn to the egg.

dont get me wrong...i love the egg and buy almost all of my computer parts from them (except hdd - poor packaging) they just aren't very competitive on ssd prices which i find odd since they have to be getting a better wholesale price than anyone else. they are one of the largest online tech retailers in the world.

i love the egg and buy almost all of my computer parts from them (except hdd - poor packaging)

I'm sorry but not on my end... 6x1tb drives for the past 4-5 months for my video collection and every time they arrive, they are perfectly packaged... I think they have improve their packaging?

It has been a common complaint in the reviews. Maybe they've finally listened.
I might have to give them another try then. They have the 300gb raptor for $200 right now!

my statement was a little broad. i didnt mean that newegg wont ever have the best price on a single item on a given day but if you're browsing for an ssd in general neweggs prices are higher than most other retailers. sometimes we just need to buy a computer part today and in that case your probably not going to get a good price if you turn to the egg.

dont get me wrong...i love the egg and buy almost all of my computer parts from them (except hdd - poor packaging) they just aren't very competitive on ssd prices which i find odd since they have to be getting a better wholesale price than anyone else. they are one of the largest online tech retailers in the world.

If you needed to buy on any given day, any given retailer may/may not give you the best price, that's the market for technology in many cases, especially when talking about components that use memory chips. Memory is probably the most volatile in terms of pricing, and one of the few components that can go up in price over time. Processors, video cards, hard drives, they rarely go up in price or fluctuate over the course of a year like memory-related items can.

Back