• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Roadmap for Q1/2010?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregz

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 160GB Intel X25-M G2 for a fresh W7 install.

Before I do, does anyone have any info on new releases planned by OCZ, Intel, etc. for Q1? One that improves on price/performance?

Thanks,

-Greg

Mr Alpha

I believe Intel and Micron are going to 22nm flash with 3 bits per cell in 2010, which will significantly drop the per GB prices of SSD. But I highly doubt this will happen in Q1 or we would have heard more about it. I also doubt Intel will do anything before this, so Q1 will most likely be quiet on the Intel SSD front.

Then there is also the Marvel SSD controller with SATA 6G, which probably will show up in SSDs in 2010, but whether this will happen in Q1 I have no idea.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
intel just went to 32nm with the G2 drives, if intel goes 22nm for ssd's it is going to be after 2010. the cost of dropping in size is so huge the cost saving of going to 32nm would be negated if they dropped to 22nm so soon.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Intel is coming out with a few more 32nm drives if not mistaken. Thought I heard something on that here soon. SLC type. Could be mistaken.

For Intel at least the Gen 3 drive isn't coming til 4th Quarter 2010 from what they have said before.

Shiggity

I heard the new barefoot controller got pushed back. I wouldn't expect new controllers that soon.

SSD's are a pretty decent investment now regardless.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I can't wait for SATA3 versions of the controllers with drives that fill up those pipelines as well. Downside is they will be more expensive currently because it might need more chips onboard to actually fill up the channel.

Even 1 drive @ 500-550Reads / 400-450Writes would be grand with say 120-250Gig capacity for $250-400. Though believe we'll be 1 year out at least for that, if not throughput but price.

Joeteck

Retired
I can't wait for SATA3 versions of the controllers with drives that fill up those pipelines as well. Downside is they will be more expensive currently because it might need more chips onboard to actually fill up the channel.

Even 1 drive @ 500-550Reads / 400-450Writes would be grand with say 120-250Gig capacity for $250-400. Though believe we'll be 1 year out at least for that, if not throughput but price.

Maybe they'll just add another CPU to the hard drive to speed up the output... Like WD did with the 500 gig black drive...