• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD vs RAID 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I'm going to be upgrading soon. Currently I have a WD 10K RPM 150G OS drive. I could probably get by on 80G or so if I made sure to install Steam on my secondary 1T drive.

Which would give me better performance, a SSD, or 2 x 500G 7200 RPM drives in RAID 0? I usually back up about once a month and do an OS reinstall about 8 months to a year. Or should I get another WD 10K RPM drive and RAID 0 it with my current drive?

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
unless you do alot of large sequentail transfers, the ssd is the way to go. what they do best is kill everything on access times and even 2 raptors wont come close. they arent the end all of hdd's but do rock. I have had the barefoot drives in raid and also the intel g2's in raid and will take the intel drives everytime. my laptop just flat out smokes with one of the g2 drives in it, easily the best thing you could do for a laptop. I have 3 seagate .12's in my main computer and am happy with the way the perform, but it is a bench unit and have to reset it alot and worry with the ssd's in it. if you have the money to burn they are nice, if money means anything to you I would wait a bit until they come down some more, but by the looks of pricing now thats prolly not going to happen for some time.
I have 2 that could be part of a trade for some upper end vid cards or nice x58 board.....

tachi1247

I agree with dejo. Go with a SSD. The SSD will be way faster than even a RAID 0 setup of your velociraptors and it will be far more reliable.

The intel G2 drives are great at 80gb, but there are many more options (less expensive too) if you can squeeze down to 60gb. There are several other manufacturers out there selling drives with the Indilinx controller at 60 gb compared to the rather pricey 80gb Intel drive. Make sure you get an Indilinx or Intel controller. The sandforce controller also looks very good, but it has not hit the market yet. I believe the first product that will use it will be the upcoming Vertex 2 by OCZ.

If you're patient & really scour for a deal you should be able to find a 60gb Indilinx controller SSD for ~150. I just picked one up from the newegg shell shocker for $130 this week.

jason4207

unless you do alot of large sequentail transfers, the ssd is the way to go. what they do best is kill everything on access times and even 2 raptors wont come close. they arent the end all of hdd's but do rock. I have had the barefoot drives in raid and also the intel g2's in raid and will take the intel drives everytime. my laptop just flat out smokes with one of the g2 drives in it, easily the best thing you could do for a laptop. I have 3 seagate .12's in my main computer and am happy with the way the perform, but it is a bench unit and have to reset it alot and worry with the ssd's in it. if you have the money to burn they are nice, if money means anything to you I would wait a bit until they come down some more, but by the looks of pricing now thats prolly not going to happen for some time.
I have 2 that could be part of a trade for some upper end vid cards or nice x58 board.....

Do SSDs have more issues than HDDs when pushing the limits? I've borked a few Windows installs when running RAID0 w/ a couple mechanical drives and even just a single drive...especially when pushing my RAM.

Have you found SSD's to be even more susceptible?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Not that I am extreme but a 543Mhz FSB with a quad didnt do anything. I have heard of that issue though, but in extreme cases. Not sure why it happens either.

Creegz

I'm looking at this very thing. Maybe even a RAID5 but with Caviar Black 500gb drives. Will it make a difference using Caviar Black's in RAID0 or An Intel SSD X25-M? This is the decision I'm trying to come to before building a desktop.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
Do SSDs have more issues than HDDs when pushing the limits? I've borked a few Windows installs when running RAID0 w/ a couple mechanical drives and even just a single drive...especially when pushing my RAM.

Have you found SSD's to be even more susceptible?

with the intel toolkit you can see how many times a computer has been dry booted. never lost any data or corruption from mine, just didnt like the restarts once I knew they were being logged.

tachi1247

I am definitely far from an expert on SSD, but my basic understanding of how SSD store data is that they would be less susceptible to data corruption caused by a BSOD/restart than a hdd.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
only way for data corruption on hd's is either ram related(being pushed out of spec or bad) or your ocing the PCIE buss. as intels ICH's are using a PCIE buss, i would assume the same thing with P55/H55/H57. However with no boards to test that on it is just guessing(in reguards to the P55/H55/H57).