• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSDs catching up to CPUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Okay, so i started a scan (Virus scan, i meant virus scan lol) on drive C: (my vertex) cause i thought i may have downloaded a virus (i hadn't) and when i started it, i noticed that my PSU started humming like it does when my computer was running Prime 95. I checked the CPU meter, and the Virus scan had my i7 at 3.8 under a 85 to 100% load!! That's the only thing i can think of that i regularly do that can push the CPU that far, and even then, the Vertex was only around 95% activity time!!! Is storage finally catching up with CPU power?

Last edited:
something is wrong with your setup then... i just ran scandisk from MS in win7, opened taskmanager. highest i saw in TM was 10% max cpu usage....

Okay, so i started a scan on drive C: (my vertex) cause i thought i may have downloaded a virus (i hadn't) and when i started it, i noticed that my PSU started humming like it does when my computer was running Prime 95. I checked the CPU meter, and the Virus scan had my i7 at 3.8 under a 85 to 100% load!! That's the only thing i can think of that i regularly do that can push the CPU that far, and even then, the Vertex was only around 95% activity time!!! Is storage finally catching up with CPU power?

you need to realize that CPU/RAM does work in the 10's of thousands to 100,000's of MB/s.

Last edited:
I did a scan on my system last night... think I hit 15-20% total power or roughly 1 CPU core going at it. But it was done nice and fast :) Took under 25min I believe for 110k+ entries/files to check.

Much better then the few hours it would take normally. Eat that traditional HDD's.

I don't think virus scanners are even dual core enabled let alone octcore enabled =P
What does the old faithful taskmanager say is running? If there's nothing then I don't know :shrug:

It's showing that AVG is using most of the CPU. That's the only thing that does it though... besides booting. That'll get it up to almost 25%, but that's just Skype, ect ect starting up... it's only taking it about 4 minutes to scan 250K files... though, during the scan, the computer is useless due to the SSD being flogged (using the fast scan option... meaning it uses ALL of the hard drive bandwidth) If i back it down to auto, then CPU usage falls to roughly 10%, on slow, it might as well be idle at 3% CPU usage.

When scanning my system disk on my Q9650 all 4 of my cores can show heavy usage at times. Perfectly normal.

EDIT: I scan in "fast scan" mode (2x WD 250GB RAID 0)

Last edited:
granted I don't have a SSD, but im currently running AVG on all drives along with having firefox open and m$ outlook and my CPU usage hasn't spiked past 12% and mem usage is at 1.5GB.. think you got something wrong there

from task mgr i see cores 1&7 or 0&6 working on everything right now

granted I don't have a SSD, but im currently running AVG on all drives along with having firefox open and m$ outlook and my CPU usage hasn't spiked past 12% and mem usage is at 1.5GB.. think you got something wrong there

from task mgr i see cores 1&7 or 0&6 working on everything right now

Is that with Fast Scan mode, or just Automatic? I'd never use fast scan and attempt to use the computer lol

Scandisk and a virus scan are very different.
Scandisk checks for holes in the files.
Virus scan checks the interior of all the files for chunks of program that look like viruses, it has to process every single file capable of harboring a virus, that takes a lot of computing power.

Yeah, a virus scan takes a LOT more power than scandisk does... scan disk doesn't use much more than 8-10% for me too.

Back