• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSDs supporting TRIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

I've been out of the storage loop for a while, and a while back I was looking at SSD's and read some article about them degrading over time, due to the way it reads\writes\deletes stuff, and that scared me out of buying one for a while. It also said that TRIM was supposed fix that issue. So I'm back looking into SSDs for an OS drive, and maybe a game or two on it. But I want to make sure to get one with TRIM capabilities, is this common on all SSD's now? Or is there a list of popular drives with TRIM? Thanks.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
TRIM or GC (Garbage Collection). Either or is good at what it does. I believe all the popular ones do. It depends on the Firmware they have though.

Intel X25M (Gen2)
OCZ Summit/Agility/Vertex

Those are just about the only SSD's worth getting that are affordable anyway.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
It depends on the Firmware they have though.
Right. Those drives listed have firmware that supports TRIM, but you maybe have to update it yourself when you get the drive.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Corsair (P Series), Patriot (not sure on the model, but know at least one does), Kingston (80GB M-series (basically an Intel drive))

Crucial should have TRIM out fairly soon.

the list is getting long

Last edited:

Raptor77

Registered
Right. Those drives listed have firmware that supports TRIM, but you maybe have to update it yourself when you get the drive.

The X25-M needs this, but it's easy to do. You just have to download the firmware updater from their website, burn to CD, and boot from the CD. They also have a "SSD Toolbox" you can download, I'm not sure how much it does but I've been using it anyway.

And no, I don't think TRIM support is on all SSDs. I think the really cheap Kingston ones didn't have it, might be an old model. And the first gen of the X25-M doesn't have a firmware update as far as I know.

Edit: missed the last few posts before I replied, might be useful anyway.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well at some point the 40gig kingston, which is a rebadged intel. Should get Trim, it is a intel G2 based drive.