• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSH help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D $hady

Hi,

I've got a quick question about using SSH and a remote display.

Let's say I have a Linux box running an X server (and KDE) connected to a monitor.

What I want to do is SSH into that machine and run an application that can only run in an X environment. Currently, when I run a command in an SSH session (in this case mythfrontend from MythTV), I get "mythfrontend: cannot connect to X server" (duh!).

So how to I get that app (mythfrontend) to run on the X server being used by the monitor? I'm guessing it's easy but I'm stuck.

Thanks,

Dave

(I hope I got all my Linux lingo correct :p )

injinj

Normally, ssh sets the DISPLAY variable to localhost:X.0 and exports that back to the connecting host, which would be where your display is.

You can try the insecure way to see if it's an ssh problem or an X problem.
On the local machine, let remotehost connect:
$ xhost +remotehost
Where remotehost is an IP address or a hostname.
On the remote machine:
$ export DISPLAY=myhost:0.0
$ xterm
Where myhost is a IP address or a hostname.
Start something simple, like xterm, before trying mythfrontend. It's possible mythfrontend is using fancy hardware accelerated graphics that can't be done remotely.

See http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/January2002/article222.shtml for a good descrtiption of the above.

If that works, then ssh is having problems exporting the connection back to the local machine. Make sure you can start an X client before ssh-ing over to the remote machine. It may be that your DISPLAY is wrong or is set incorrectly and ssh is exporting that setting.

tamasrepus

Registered
Easy, secure, fast way:

Invoke ssh with (can also be set with config files):
ssh -X -C hostname

And then run programs on the remote machine. ssh automatically creates an X proxy on the remote machine, tunneled over SSH, back to the X server on your machine. It also sets DISPLAY correctly and so on. Be aware that remote X over anything that isn't LAN tends to be slow.

nil_esh

Also, on your remote machine, you may have to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and add or uncomment this option:

X11Forwarding yes