• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSID hiding- how do you connect ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hkgonra said:
How do you find your own network to be able to connect to it if you hide your ssid ?

You specify the SSID in your clients config, just like it was said above. You don't know what your SSID is? (cause you turned it off and didn't write it down someplace) Log in to your router and look there.

I know what it is, but when I click on my connection window it doesn't show up there for me to tell it to connect.

Thats the point of SSID hiding so that it won't show up when somebody tries to detect your access point.

My opinion is that SSID hiding does nothing to add to the security of your access point, its still easy to find the access point.

Smokeys said:
Thats the point of SSID hiding so that it won't show up when somebody tries to detect your access point.

My opinion is that SSID hiding does nothing to add to the security of your access point, its still easy to find the access point.

but not easy enough for the poster which leads to this thread;)

Just specify the SSID on the computer you want to connect to your network by wireless.

My advice is to use Wep/WPA + SSID broadcasting disabled + Mac addy filtering.

Using all three is a good way to protect your network.

I also have to agree that disabling broadcast is pointless in my mind, unless that's your only means of security(which would be bad anyways). Anyone knowledgeable enough to know how to do anything is going to be using something like netstumbler and the ssid broadcast isn't going to matter on or off.

really, turning SSID off will make it not there for a netstumbler search. It is a small part of securing your wireless network. Just understand if someone really wants in they can get in.

TimDgsr said:
I also have to agree that disabling broadcast is pointless in my mind, unless that's your only means of security(which would be bad anyways). Anyone knowledgeable enough to know how to do anything is going to be using something like netstumbler and the ssid broadcast isn't going to matter on or off.

I don't know about that first statement. A lot of people who stumble on other people's network is often a "mistaken" and they're just clicking everywhere and they'll click on your SSID and if it works, hey why not?

I think turning off SSID would be a first big leap in securing network despite how easily it can be cracked because a lot of the times, the people that get into your personal network are just knuckleheads...

I mean, how many people do you go go driving around cracking wireless networks? Hell, they wouldnt even need to crack it. They could just drive for a bit more and find an unsecure network there :)

Back