• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSID WiFi Manager

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

This free ap puts a widget on your screen that monitors your 'location' so that you know at a glance at all times what access point you are connected to. Google fused the ability to monitor ssid AP's with the gps chip a few updates ago. Without gps on it works but will only give you a static icon for the ssid's. With gps on it changes color and displays relative strength for the one activated.
I was using phoneprofiles plus to change a bunch of settings at once but if your ap changes for whatever reason, it never tells you from the widget, or you have to use the drop-down menu to find out. Very annoying.

Interestingly enough, the dev's page for the app states that google removed it from the playstore for violating it's policies. But get this, it was because he put a direct update link in the app which bypassed the playstore. Good. It works too.
Anyway, I found it while seeking out a free widget to simply monitor which AP I was connected to.
It has 3 versions. Grid, horizontal, or vertical. Maybe one of you guys, or gals, might find it useful. If you install Private Location and set it as the mock location app in developer mode settings, you can leave the gps on at all times and not actually give that info out. Priv Loc is on fdroid app or you can get it direct from the fdroid website.
http://www.giuseppeparrello.it/en/stw_android_ssidwifimanager.php
ssid.png
There may be another ap that's better that's 'free'. Let me know if you know of one.
(c)1997-2070 LOL

Last edited:
Neat!

Buuuuut...all I need to do swipe down to see where I'm connected. I don't find that annoying...but I also don't typically need to know that info often enough that a swipe annoys me. :p

Surely some will find this useful though! :)

I have used inssider before to see channels and strengths of my nnetwork and that of those that my wireless can pickup. Later versions than what I started with did try to install some jibberish, but you could opt out of that. The signal quality is in dbm which is nice
I have used inssider before to see channels and strengths of my nnetwork and that of those that my wireless can pickup. Later versions than what I started with did try to install some jibberish, but you could opt out of that. The signal quality is in dbm which is nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT type of program, I use (Wi-Fi Analyzer is the name of it).

(Sorry for the accidental edit of your post... It is back how it was, I just borked getting this quote)

I turn my wifi off when I drive away and I sometimes just turn it off. My phone would at times out of sleep or whatever just randomly connect to an AP I don't want it to. By forcing me to swipe down twice I would never know. This ap, using it's keep alive service, allows me to glance at the homescreen without having to pull the network menu open and see which one I'm on. One pull only shows me as connected, not which one. Maybe in 10 it's different???
The real problem is google fusing your wifi to your gps. STUPID. Making something as simple as "hmm, which ssid am I on?", into an impossibility and a pita without google being told first. I needed an animated widget and this one works pretty good on my phone. Gotta set the keep alive though to keep the animation working. Dev suggests 5, 10, 15.... It does drain a battery. Removing phoneprofiles is nice too. Too much ado about nothing.
wifi analyzer has no widgets. I have ning and net monitor but neither do they. Inssider used to be good. Any decent wireless card does what inssider does. It was kinda of a look at me ap back in the day. I have the older free version of inssider on my windows desktop but never use it cause I'm always plugged in.

Last edited:
Back