• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!st time OC'er...got a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lavakillu

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong topic. Just attempted my first OC last pm using Asus AI Tweaker. I updated BIOS on Z170 Pro to 1702, set default values and was able to get to 4.8 GHz on a 6600k. CPU-Z and HWiNFO both verify the speed but, when I boot back into UEFI, it shows non OC'd values. Likewise, computer properties in windows does not reflect the OC'd values. My question is whether or not this is normal. Also, another general question, I have 32Gb of Dominator DDR4 3000 and it seems to be running at a little over stock speed (though it's pretty hard to tell what the speed is in CPU-z). Is it necessary to apply XMP settings after the proc OC? Sorry for the utter elementary nature of the questions.
System specs are as follows: Asus Z170 Pro, i5 6600K, NZXT x61, Dominator Platinum (4x8) 3000MHz, 850 EVO SSD, WD Black, Corsair RM850x, old GPU (waiting on Polaris)
Thanks so much, guys!

You're doing a software overclock rather than a BIOS overclock. I believe this means the overclock is not being written to the BIOS then when you boot into BIOS it's actually not overclocked.

No problem. Take a look in the CPU section and there are some good tutorials in OCing using the BIOS. I would suggest that.

To elaborate more on what JLamb said, those software overclocks aren't applied until you boot into windows, as the software has to run and apply the settings for the overclock to take place. It's sort of a pseudo-overclock, for the people that aren't comfortable with touching BIOS, or just don't know how. A true BIOS OC will stick. Remember to adjust those voltages, and make sure you understand what each option is, correspondent to how it will affect the CPU and the system as a whole. Good luck!

Back