• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stabilize the K7S5A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legionnaire

If you've been having any problems at all with your system, go out and get a tube of ASII/ASIII epoxy. Now, see that gold chipset heatsink? rip it off. see that crap on there? that's a double sided piece of foam tape thats cooling your chipset. Scary huh? scrape that crap off, and put some AS2 on there. Enjoy youre stable system.

Loud

A stupid question, I think ...

Would lapping this heatsink also help?

I've pulled a few of these from other boards (all ASUS :rolleyes: ), and they obviously were NOT making full contact. Although ... they were mounted with grease, not adhesive pad, so it was easier to see ...

... or would that be (officially) overkill? :D Not that I shrink from overkill ... as the son of an engineer, I was taught the #1 rule of engineering - OVERDESIGN THE -er- SNOT OUT OF IT!! :D

MikeTimbers

Some people have said theirs gets very hot and this has helped. The chipset getting hot seems to be a symptom of iffy power supplies as far as I can tell.

Certainly my heatsinks are not even warm to the touch.

Loud

Okay ... in the realm of overdesign ... (since I brought it up ;) ) ...

Would a HSF be better than the stock HS on this chipset? Like maybe glueing a 486 or Pentium HSF to it with AS Epoxy? (Am I the only one with a few of these laying around gathering dust?)

Would a Crystal Orb or one of those square ThermalTake chipset coolers be worth the money?

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
Loud said:
Okay ... in the realm of overdesign ... (since I brought it up ;) ) ...

Would a HSF be better than the stock HS on this chipset? Like maybe glueing a 486 or Pentium HSF to it with AS Epoxy? (Am I the only one with a few of these laying around gathering dust?)

Would a Crystal Orb or one of those square ThermalTake chipset coolers be worth the money?

On some chipsets, maybe. But the K7S5A's Sis chipset just does not get that hot. It runs cool...it is known for this.

juliendogg

i've an ecs k7s5a as well. the chipset seems cool most the time but once in a while it'll get real hot real quick. i think it's a worthwhile mod. i was planning on putting at least a fan on there. if i remove the thermal pad do i have to glue the h/s back on?

dreadlord79

juliendogg, I recommend putting it back on with epoxy myself. I mix Arctic Alumina with epoxy and it works great!

Loud, the Crystal Orb will not fit well on the chipset because of the caps in the way. I thought about putting one on there when I bought my first for the video card in my sig, but it wouldn't set on there right. I would (if you are going to overkill:D ) go with a 1U heatsink with cooler. I am not sure where to get one right off the top, but they are around and they are primarily used for CPU's. Just my $0.02. :)