• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stable OC but can't figure adaptive mode 5820k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

babyyak3002

System:

Asus x99-a
5820k i7
Kingston hyperX ddr4 3000mhz 16gb
Sandisk plus ssd

Custom water cooling loop.

I'm a bit beginner in OC'ing. But I have and understand how to from forums and from past builds. Upgrading from a 980x system.

I have a stable oc of 4.4ghz @ 1.2125v vcore

All other settings left on auto except for these

100 bclk

Mult. 44
Cache min 24 (won't let me change)
Max 40 (not sure what to put this at but stable here)

Ram at 2666mhz

I've researched a ton, and ran at 100 bclk ram 2666 MHz instead of 125 3000 mhz because highest oc I could get was 4.0 on 125, read this is common with this chip. I've got my above 4.4 o'clock stable on aida64 and rendering 10min h264 in premiere cs6 Max temps were 60c under 100% load on aida64.

My problem is that I want to run my system so it's voltage drops during idle and from my weeks of researching everything on this I've read with my x99-a it's done with adaptive mode. I've read tons of contradicting things on this and can't figure it out. I can't get my system to post with this mode enabled.

I've tried what some say to just enter your vcore, in my case 1.2125v in the turbo vcore section and it won't even post. Nothing else touched. Not sure what to do?

Was thinking of trying full auto and a less aggressive clock and monitor voltage and just run that but I'd like to figure this out if I could.

You have a couple of options...

1. Set your power plan in Windows to balanced.
2. Use adaptive. Basically, adaptive will add voltage to your stock voltage (or VID) when under load. So if you are stable at 1.3v and your stock voltage is 1.15v. Your adaptive voltage should be +15mv because 1.15 + 15mv = 1.3v. Is that not working?

Last edited:
You have a couple of options...

1. Set your power plan in Windows to balanced.
2. Use adaptive Basically, adaptive will add voltage to your stock voltage (or VID) when under load. So if you are stable at 1.3v and your stock voltage is 1.15v. Your adaptive voltage should be +15mv because 1.15 + 15mv = 1.3v. Is that not working?

I'm a little confused after reading. A few things. 1. Windows power plan affects my cpu vcore in win 10? I'm trying to have my vcore bounce between idle state around .94? and the 1.2125 my system requires at load at 4.4.

And you say on 2. Use adaptive, how do I find out my stock voltage? (Vid) is this a base number or system specific? Do I just reset bios to default boot and stress test with Aida 64 and view my stock voltage? Second sine I'm at 1.2125 stable I just subtract my stock voltage from this number and then where do I then enter that number in the asus x99-a bios? Under the offset? The turbo voltage?

1. Windows power plan affects my cpu vcore in win 10?
I would think so, yes. I have it but use manual/override voltage so I am not sure. I know it does in W7. I don't see why it would change. That said, find out and report back. ;)

Reset to bios defaults, boot to windows, put a heavy load on it, and look at CPUz or a similar program. That is your stock load voltage.

I don't have your board, I would assume the offset though.

I would think so, yes. I have it but use manual/override voltage so I am not sure. I know it does in W7. I don't see why it would change. That said, find out and report back. ;)

Reset to bios defaults, boot to windows, put a heavy load on it, and look at CPUz or a similar program. That is your stock load voltage.

I don't have your board, I would assume the offset though.

Thanks, I'll check it out and report back. The system wouldn't even post last I changed the adaptive setting so I'll probably have to try the reset cmos button and then see what happens.
I'll report back tho. I'll most likely mess with it on Saturday. Headed out of town now, if anyone has any other tips on this with my specific board can chime in that would be awesome too. Thank you.

So I was able to get it set up using offset mode in asus mentioned above, I did what you said defaulted settings noted the default voltage at aida64 Max load. Added my offset to make up the difference to my stable clock value voltage and everything is working great, during aida64 tests however, offset mode isn't stable. It crashes almost every stability test. I bumped voltage up a tad bit more, and got it to stress test better, not completely crashing but still faulty/not dropping voltage back down after stopping the stress test. I've read your not supposed to run stability tests in these modes after researching further ,and to trust the values of your overclock and go with that... So I stopped stress testing and was editing and gaming for over 8 hours yesterday with no hiccups. So I'm calling it stable.

Last edited:
Back