• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Standard PVC Tubing vs "WC Tubing"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s1lv3rvortex

Registered
Hello all, just as the title states, I'm comparing name brand water cooling tube(XSPC specifically) to HD(aka Home Depot) tubing. Just curious if anyone here has any experience with the generic stuff sold at your local retail store?

Here's a link to the stuff I was thinking about getting: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-2-in-x-10-ft-Clear-PVC-Tubing-SVKI10/202309819

Its generic, but according to the specs it has a much higher temp rating, is made of the same material(PVC).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Get some Primochill Advanced LRT and call it a day.
Almost anything else will leech plasticizer.

i use 'hd' tubes for my ghetto cooling because i can't seem to find any 10/8 tubes. The only thing i noticed is that it gets very rigid and cloudy after 2 months. Not saying it'll break but i prefer not to risk making the rig wet.

Last edited:

I'm with ya on this. This comparison is strictly for our own knowledge and comparison. :):thup:

Just trying to figure out what in fact makes these hoses so different? I've seen several other threads where people bought the Tygon(no plastisizers) and Promochill, but the tube still seems to break down and cloud up. Will this eventually happen to every tube, just some faster than others?

We have to be careful on which Primochill tubing we are talking about. The old Primochill tubing had issues or at least some batches were horrid. They came out with the "Advanced" line which has taken everyone by storm.

I am not a chemist nor would I understand the differences between tubing in that sense but I am sure some might know more that can shed some light to this.

the over the counter stuff will cloud quickly, I use it but i tear mine down so often it dos'nt matter.
atminside is spot on on this one.

I used to use home depot tubing. I now always keep at least 1 build worth of tubing on hand so I don't have to use home depot tubing.

I'm not sure if it was the biocide I used( also from home depot) or just the tubing but it leaked so much plasticizer that it blocked the microchannels on my swiftech gtz back in the q6600 days. Wish I still had pictures of it.

True, though I'm not sure about the hose in the OP post.

I dont see the link between the hose & the CPVC pipe, are those really the same specs?

One of the things i like to believe is that any hose/pipe which is used in building to transport drinkable (tap)water kinda keeps the leeching to a minimum
Which is why double-walled pex is preferred above "simple" shedule-40/80 (C)PVC

Back