• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

start mobo without case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

i tried searching but came up with nothing. how can i start my mobo up without a case? i've got all the parts except my case... its an MSI k7t pro2 A motherboard...

starting mobo

Install cpu, hsf, memory, vid card, and PSU. Place mobo on non-conductive surface. Then take a flat head screwdriver and short the pins where the case power switch normally connects.

thank sir! :D err.. cardboard is good enough, no? :) by the end of the night i hope to have this old 800 t-bird folding!

caseless PC

I've only done this for testing puposes, so for very short durations. In the long run, you'll want to protect the board and components from ESD, Electro-Static Discharge, and you'll want it on a surface that's not going to carry any risk of fire. Cardboard will work fine for testing, but I would hesitate to leave it alone like that.

hm... ic.. well perhaps i will have to buy a crappy cheap case for it then... thx for the heads up

I have a Tbird 1100/128Meg RAM/30Gig Hard disk folding with no case :D.

Just used a screwdriver, as said earlier in this thread.

Seems to work OK, resting on a plastic box just now.

David

yep.. lol actually workin pretty good, it stays alot cooler than normal too, i put it right by my window, which is sorta drafty, and its cooold up here in iowa :) should be done setting her up with folding by the end of the night.. add another 800mhz for team 32!!

Mr. Chambers said:
yep.. lol actually workin pretty good, it stays alot cooler than normal too, i put it right by my window, which is sorta drafty, and its cooold up here in iowa :) should be done setting her up with folding by the end of the night.. add another 800mhz for team 32!!

Mine sits at ~36C. For a Thunderbird that aint bad :D

David

LOL, i did this for my dual xeon setup, while i was waiting for my case, and it actually got cooler temps outside of the case, sitting on some cardboard, than it did while inside the case with about 6 fans blowing on it.

My dual system is sitting on the MB box it came in. Been running like that for about 4 months now. I dust it off with a can of air every few days, but aside form that, it's been running constantly, no problems. Kinda funny considering my Pentium 200 system is in a case... :rolleyes:

Back