• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting DD D4 pump on a rheobus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
coil said:
Hey, ive got the DD 12v pump and i want to run it at a lower voltage. The pump requires 12v to start so my sunbem rheobus doesnt start the pump from cold if the knob is lower than max.

Does anyone know of any fan controllers that supplys 12v to the output at the start and then switch to whatever it was set at on the dial. I heard the coolermaster aerogate does but does any others? Does the vantec nexus series?

A Pulse Width Modulation fan controller would work wouldnt it ? It always supplies 12V, just not 100% of the time.

Don K said:
Is the Rheobus' inability to start a D4 at <12v, a general issue? Or is coil just being "unlucky"?
This issue has already been discussed.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2938061&postcount=53
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2938158&postcount=54

Any ol' DC rheostat rated for 25 watts should be just fine. Just don't drop the voltage below 6 v.

BTW the pump barely moves any water at such low voltages. To get useful work out of it, I'd never go below 7 v.

LOL, well it looks like it will start on a rheobus, but at 25watts I don't know of one that could power it.
Looks like my Sunbeam is not up to the task.

Not to create even more confussion, but my MCP650 seems to be a bit of a misfit. Granted I've only tested it with a cheap psu [shorted, running w/o a pc]... So far before any break-in period, it seemed to not want to start regardless of voltage. After a few tries, it worked on anything down to 6.2v (what my math is telling me my VR circuit is putting out). It may have been the psu with higher/lower voltage since only the 12v line was being used, or just it being 'green', but in any case, it seems that there's a bit of a learning curve with this pump.

My MCP650 is hooked up directly to 7Volts using the 5V line as - and 12V line as + on a standard molex and it has been running fine from day one and is virtually silent too! The Swiftech leaflet states this pump can be operated between 6V to 14V so I dunno what this crap is about 'thinking' it needs 18V to start?! Do not post if you haven't got any real-world experience with it yourself please! Not only isn't it helpful at all, it can also make people buying the wrong stuff or worse...

Back