• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting from scratch...Q6700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Havelcek

Registered
Hey all....very informative forums here.

I'm building a new rig which isn't noteworthy but I want to try my hand at overclocking for the first time. I am going to stay with the quad-core series and since the 6700 is only like 60 bucks more than the 6600 at this point it seems that I'd want to go with that.

But I've read that the 6600 overclocks nicely with DDR2-800...does that remain true with the 6700? I'm really sorry for what I'm sure is a very stupid question to all of you. I read the stickies above but am having trouble figuring this out. I don't want to purchase an expensive paperweight.

Thanks!

GTengineer

Hey all....very informative forums here.

I'm building a new rig which isn't noteworthy but I want to try my hand at overclocking for the first time. I am going to stay with the quad-core series and since the 6700 is only like 60 bucks more than the 6600 at this point it seems that I'd want to go with that.

But I've read that the 6600 overclocks nicely with DDR2-800...does that remain true with the 6700? I'm really sorry for what I'm sure is a very stupid question to all of you. I read the stickies above but am having trouble figuring this out. I don't want to purchase an expensive paperweight.

Thanks!

The reason people say the Q6600 overclocks nicely with DDR2-800 is because the average OC for a Q6600 (9x multiplier) is 3.6GHz which puts the memory right smack at DDR2-800 speeds. The Q6700 has a 10x multiplier so it is actually a bit easier on RAM and but more importantly your MOBO. All things being equal you would always want to go with a Q6700. The question is whether the extra $60 is worth it to you. Unfortunately there arent as many people around with Q6700 as there are Q6600 so it is more difficult to quantify how much better it will overclock over a Q6600 (if any). If I was in the market right now I would dish the $60 for a Q6700 but that is just me...

Last edited: